Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Confirmed: Comp trunion 'upgrade' is a DOWNGRADE

Post Thanks / Like

Default Confirmed: Comp trunion 'upgrade' is a DOWNGRADE

After hearing about abnormal wear on on the Comp trunion upgrade on other boards I became a bit worried. I decided to replace the comps with new stockers today just to be safe. And I have confirmed that mine are showing abnormal wear as well. I only disassembled a intake bearing so far, but the results were bad. I noted little flakes of metal on the lower part of the C clip before disassembly. The bearings were well oiled when disassembled so that isn't an issue.

P1010630.JPG
    Last edited by norm8332; 10-02-2016 at 08:21 AM.
    08 G8 GT: MagnaCharger TVS MP1900 10psi, LS9 cam, 72# injectors, Roto-Fab CAI, SLP Headers, Corsa Catback, etc.
    My Garage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by norm8332 View Post
    After hearing about abnormal wear on on the Comp trunion upgrade on other boards I became a bit worried. I decided to replace the comps with new stockers today just to be safe. And I have confirmed that mine are showing abnormal wear as well. I only disassembled a intake bearing so far, but the results were bad. I noted little flakes of metal on the lower part of the C clip before disassembly. The bearings were well oiled when disassembled so that isn't an issue.

P1010630.JPG
    Well that doesn't give me the warm fuzzies.
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Post Thanks / Like

Default Comp Trunion Failure

More Pictures:

Intake:
    P1010632.JPG

Exhaust:

P1010633.JPG

As bad as they look, they aren't as bad as some I have seen on other boards. These were installed with a press and using the washers provided with the kit.

Stock ones now installed!
    08 G8 GT: MagnaCharger TVS MP1900 10psi, LS9 cam, 72# injectors, Roto-Fab CAI, SLP Headers, Corsa Catback, etc.
    My Garage

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Stock ones are not without issues too, so what is the best solution?

Rotohack 102 intake - 102 MAF - TPIS 102 TB - TVS1900 ported & plated w 8 rib 2.5" front + OD rear
    PnP Interchiller - RCR ported heads - RCR Lunati 219/231 113+1 - Forged Bottom End
    ARH 2" LT headers - Solo 3" CB - MT DRs + M&H FRs on Weld RT-S
    CTS-V fuel w Vaporworx - FAST 85s - Alkycontrol meth M15 + M10 - RCR tune
    9.75@139.2 ? rwhp ? rwtq

Post Thanks / Like

About when where these purchased? I do believe Comp had a hardness issue with the trunions in the early production. Stockers seem to hold up fine in mild spring pressures and under 0.615 lift. When they go though, those needle bearing go everywhere.

The oil impregnated bushing style trunions seem all the craze now. Still the same trunions but a bushing vs roller bearing...
    Phillip M.
    09.5 SBM GT Sports/Premium/Roof

Engine: Stock Bottom End
    Heads: Stock, LS3 Intake, LY6 Exhaust, Milled
    Cam: BTR IV PD
    Intake: Stock Intake, Stock TB, LS7 MAF, Volant CAI
    Exhaust: 1-7/8 Kooks LT's, Off-Road Pipes, Corsa cat-back
    Fuel: Fore Twin Ti 450's, Vaporworx, E85, Bosch Injectors
    Drivetrain: 6L80, Sonnax
    Suspension: BMR 15" Strange Coilovers
    Wheels/Tires: 15x10 RT-S on 275/60R15 Pro's, 17x5 Weld on M/T 28"
    Ported LSA Blower, 9.55/2.55, 102 TB, Chiller

High Compression/Boost/E85

Post Thanks / Like

They have around 10,000 or maybe a little more miles on them (didn't keep track). 15/16 were bad. Stock rockers will be fine for my cam. Some builders swear by the stock rockers even with more aggressive cams. I read of a failure on Corvette Forums where the guy just purchased them recently (http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...-trunions.html). Even if they were improved why risk getting old stock.

Has Comp even admitted this is an issue? I'm going to call them to complain and demand a refund..I'm out $260 (Comp+Stock) and i'm back to where I started because of their poorly made crap.

I had no indication they were bad, I just checked because of the horror stories I've been reading and noticed some 'foreign material at the lowest point on a couple of C clips. I then used a magnified inspection camera and I could see clearly that it was metal particles. That's when I decided they had to go and ordered a set of stock rockers.
    Last edited by norm8332; 10-02-2016 at 07:51 PM.
    My Garage

Post Thanks / Like

When I did my trunion upgrade I had heard of some tight bearings. I measured every thing and added it all to a spread sheet. I then did a selective fit to attempt to make all the clearances the same. I'm going to send some oil to blackstone labs. Then I'll take a look inside.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe someone posted up Comps new bushing style upgrade. I'm tempted to put those on some stock trunnions and get rid of the bearings. I seriously don't want to ruin this engine. I do however only put about 100-200 miles on it a year!

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

9. Thanks drumsbh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I posted our bushing kit awhile back.
    http://grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=44035
    888-748-4655
    All Prices in posts are subject to change at anytime.
    Check us out at www.PacePerformance.com

2009.5 Liquid Red G8 GT
    2009 MSM Supercharged G8 GXP M6 - 11.51 @ 126.09
    586rwhp/495tq

11. Likes slayermanny, pir4te, MIEngineer, STL_G8GT liked this post