Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Third Stage of my G8

VIP Member with OCD Executor999's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Third Stage of my G8

I've waited all year to write this!

On Thursday November 1st I got home from my return journey from Missouri City, Texas. After dreaming for 8 months, saving money diligently and planning every last detail for another 9 months, driving a 4,800 mile round trip over 8 days and painfully waiting for 5 weeks, at the end was the outcome I was hoping for: my G8 GT re-modded from the inside out.

Living in the Oregon, choices of reliable shops are far and few between. I had a hard time justifying the cost and effort when I didn't have 110% peace of mind that it was going to be done right.

By January of this year it dawned on me that - as crazy as it sounded, if I wanted to get my mods installed right, I was going to drive my car to Texas (the G8 center of the universe?) and visit Charlie. We agreed on a schedule of late September.

From January through September, I researched, planned and purchased parts. This is where special thanks goes to a LOT of people. There's Greg from Pace Performance, from whom I sourced most of my GM parts from. There's Crazy Paul, from whom I purchased all my Holden interior parts that resulted in the 'Vader' onyx interior mod.

I also want to thank Brett from Landspeed Development who gave me a great deal on Stage II cylinder heads and gave them a lot of extra TLC in the porting process. The extra time was worth the wait. I must also give credit to Brett for recommending his engine builder Rick, the owner of Precision Engine and Machine, who built my LS3 stroker motor.

Rick hand built the motor and made sure important things like pushrod length, P-to-V clearance and other important tolerances were good to go. He also provided invaluable advice on engine parts that resulted in upgrades like tie bar lifters. Brett and Rick worked together to make sure the final compression ratio (10.94 : 1 CR) was where I wanted it too.

And what's a perfect install without the perfect tunes? It was a dream come true to have Patrick G dyno tune my car in person, who remotely tuning (and saved) my cammed 6.0 motor over two years ago. Patrick G also provided an awesome camshaft recommendation for the stroker motor.

There's Louie, aka '20lbbooster' who selflessly and generously - without even knowing me beforehand, offered to get me to the airport and back after I arrived in Houston. Likewise when I arrived back in Houston five weeks later. There's something to be said about southern hospitality... I consider Louie to be a new friend and I hope to return his hospitality whenever I can.

Special thanks also goes out to Chris from Circle D Specialties who at the last minute built another converter for me when he suspected the first one might have been built with possibly faulty parts. And Casey from GForce Engineering for configuring my 750hp axles correctly to fit my G8 using a Camaro rear differential. And Mike the Powder Coater who received brand new stock calipers from Greg and did his magic.

Last but not least there is Charlie the GRRRR8, the owner of this forum - who I first met virtually on G8Board over four years ago. I chose him and his shop because he's a perfectionist at what he does and also has the most specific experience with our G8s.

His school of thought on customer service is unrivaled, his attention to detail is impeccable and he shares valuable car knowledge without expecting anything in return. Charlie is also a new friend as a result of this project and I'm so glad to have finally met him in person.

At the risk of sounding dramatic, it's the human connection with all these folks that makes this project a life changing journey, and not just conducting business with reputable vendors.
    Last edited by Executor999; 11-07-2012 at 08:12 AM.

2008 Pontiac G8 GT | PBM | Premium Package | Tuned by Patrick G | Wrenched by Enhanced Street Performance
    AC Delco | ARP | ATI | BMR | Centric | GForce Engineering | GM | Holden | Kooks | Manton | Moog | Norris Motorsports | Patrick G | Pedders | Pirelli | PRC | RCR | Rotofab | Russell | Texas Speed | SuperPro | Xforce

'Charlie the GRRRR8' - Rest in Peace 11/14/2013

VIP Member with OCD Executor999's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Precision Engine and Machine LS3 416 stroker engine

Landspeed Stage II cylinder heads

Circle D 258mm Pro II 6L80E 2C torque converter and LS SFI Flex-Plate

BMR lower control arms, toe rods and trailing arms, GForce Engineering 750hp axles and GM Camaro rear differential

GM Camaro transmission pan and GXP transmission cooler

AC Delco ceramic pads, Centric rotors, Russell brake lines and powercoated GM calipers

Rotofab 102mm CAI

New and improved G8

Patrick G dyno tune results
    Last edited by Executor999; 11-03-2012 at 12:39 PM.

2008 Pontiac G8 GT | PBM | Premium Package | Tuned by Patrick G | Wrenched by Enhanced Street Performance
    AC Delco | ARP | ATI | BMR | Centric | GForce Engineering | GM | Holden | Kooks | Manton | Moog | Norris Motorsports | Patrick G | Pedders | Pirelli | PRC | RCR | Rotofab | Russell | Texas Speed | SuperPro | Xforce

'Charlie the GRRRR8' - Rest in Peace 11/14/2013

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice job and list of upgrades.

Bet that car drives like a dream
    2008 G8 GT
    TSP Forged LS3- D1-221/232 RCR Cam-Ported L92's-Yank2800 Triple Disc-Squash-ID850-Coolingmist Meth Injection-Demon8 Designs-Aerofoce-BMR-BC Racing-Brembos-Kooks-Solo 3in-Derale atomic super cooler-ace performance built 6l80
    Rick Crawford Tuned
    663/596 Rwhp rwtq for now....
    10.87 at 133 1.59 60ft

Post Thanks / Like

Very nicely done Sir!
    I don't see which nitrous kit you bought? And what did you say 125 shot? Lolololol
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT
    D1 Procharged
    11.69@119
    Redline

Post Thanks / Like

Default Third Stage of my G8

That's awesome! I can't believe how far you came to get the work done, but you definitely did it right! Congrats.
    09.5 LR G8 GXP A6
    For mods list, honk 3 times.

Post Thanks / Like

Dan, I've been waiting for this write up!
    GRRRR8 job planning and excellent use of some of the greatest folks in our industry. Your G8 is awesome.
    Hopefully one day our cars can meet up.
    Serious props to Louie, for making the trip easier for you.
    I also have received the Texas hospitality when I worked in Houston. Fatdaddy, AKA Mitch, picked me up at the hotel for a fine dinner at his home. I had dinner with the GRRRR8 one as well. Todd and his wife, Steve, and Mier treated me to a dinner of Texas BBQ.
    Last edited by -Ray-; 11-03-2012 at 03:04 AM.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

very nice! It is always nice to have the best people in their fields working together for a completed project.
    2009 Karma Metallic G8 GT The best gift you can give to someone is your time,because you're giving them something that you can never get back

Post Thanks / Like

The pics are great and that stroker should be pretty hefty on the street. Charlie did it, blah blah blah, did it last all the way home? Ha, very nice job Charlie and you detailed it to the tee especially the under carriage. Have fun with the new power.
    Last edited by locrzn#92; 11-03-2012 at 03:54 AM.

Roots blower by Magnacharger 469 hp 498 torque on Mustang dyno 12 lbs of boost
    Should be over 500 rwhp with cog drive, now 12 lbs of boost, no dyno or track time since od cog drive
    After Maggie 11.86 @ 115.33 w/1.74 60 ft (best 60ft 1.63.) (Nov. 6, 2010) Temp 60, DA 1158
    After Maggie 1/8 mile 7.58, best mph 92.16 w/1.66. Kooks Mids w/cats, H-pipe, cheap mufflers.
    20x8.5 and 20x9.5 Lorenzo Black Wl032 wheels Sumitomo Htr 3's 255-35 and 275-35's
    Eibach prokit with Lovell strut/shocks, Ctsv/Camaro Brakes
    The above Dyno numbers were after the sale to born2fly (awsome)
    New Ride is 82 malibu wagon with 6.0 ly6 and ported l92 heads, comp cam, holley hi ram intake, hedman headers, 4l60 w/3000 stall and more

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dan it was no problem at all to help you out. I'd do it again in a heartbeat minus the MSG (inside joke)!

For those of you who haven't or will never see Dans car in person, I can tell you it's ridiculous. It's not meant to be the biggest power car or the fastest car but its a well built, great combination of parts working together as a whole. The work that Charlie did was incredible and I don't just mean the parts he installed. It's the attention to detail that sets him apart from the others.

I was having a problem with my car which Charlie knocked out at the beginning of working on Dans car. I saw his car in various stages of disassembly. On the rear end particularly, not only did Charlie install new parts, he meticulously cleaned every part on the ass end of that car. Charlie informed me that most of the rear parts and suspension were already on the car when Dan dropped it off...he just cleaned everything so the old parts would look as good as the new ones. It was crazy clean. Remember, this car had just been driven 2000 miles from Oregon! Charlie is a beast!

The other thing about Dans car is the fact that he has a beastly ls3 416 stroker but you would never ever know it unless he told you. It sounds like a mildly cam'd stock motor with stock exhaust. This car is the definition of sleeper!

Great build Dan!
    2013 Mustang GT bone stock, for now!
    Boost coming soon!

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the build. It looks like your time, money and patience has paid off. The car looks GRRRR8, and I'm sure with Charlie doing the work and PatG doing the tune, it couldn't drive much better.
    RIP Charlie!

2009 MGM G8 GT
    Vararam, PaceSetter, Magnaflow, Comp, Pac, Yank
    11.95 @ 116.64