Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: G8 Tail Lighting

Post Thanks / Like

Default G8 Tail Lighting

Instructions added.

I have wanted to do this mod practically since the day I got the G8. It has taken this long to figure out how to do it and find the correct pieces.

Where there are some improvements that could be made, I think you'll get the general idea... The video was taken in the afternoon - it will be much more effective in the dark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2P1bYpGZpo

Instructions:

First, because I occasionally tow a trailer, I have installed the $50 trailer lighting adapter (available at Harbor Freight / Northern Tool / trailer supply stores). This adapter takes the 5 wire (separate turn signal) G8 wiring and adapts it for the 4 wire (integrated turn signal) trailer wiring.

If you choose NOT to do the adapter, then the additional lights can be wired to come on with the brake lights OR the turn signals, but not both. Since I already had the adapter, my version of the lights come on with both the brake lights and the turn signals.

The lights are from Harbor Freight part number '98408 - 9" LED Red Strip Lamp' cost $10 - you'll need 2. These lights are 24 LEDs embedded in a flexible clear plastic mold.

Other supplies - double sided foam sticky tape - I recommend 3M VHB (very high bond), extra wire, connectors or soldering iron, the usual wiring tools. Drill and small drill bit, drill extension.

1. Remove the diffuser - the black plastic piece that contains the reflectors. Underneath the car there are 4 plastic push rivets in the diffuser - remove the center pin of the rivet and then remove the rivet. Starting at one end of the diffuser near the reflector, pull outward on the diffuser to unclip it from the bumper. Much better instructions including pictures are on the GXP diffuser thread on G8Board (if you can stand going over to the Dark Side for a while...)

2. The strip lamp is too long to fit on the reflector. I found thru experimentation that there are 24 LEDs in the lamp, 4 groups of 6. Using a pair of scissor or cutters, remove the last 6 LEDs from the lamp. Make sure the copper ribbon conductors where they are cut are not shorted together.

3. Mount the double sided tape on the back of the lamps and trim to fit.

First opportunity for improvement: the strip lamps are clear, and the mounting tape that I used is white and shows through as white behind the strip lamps. It does not look too horrible, since it repeats the white of the backup lights/turn signals. However, there is double sided tape that is grey instead of white - it might be less obvious than the white.

Now let's go drill some holes.

4. The wiring on the lamps is tiny - you will not need to make a very big hole at all. Drill one hole in the diffuser in the corner of the depression the reflector sits in for the wires to feed through.

5. Now we need to get the wires inside the vehicle. The easiest place I found was to drill a hole in the spare tire well. I went in thru the center cut out in the bumper and drilled a hole as far up in the plastic spare tire carrier as I could reach - you will need either a long drill bit or a way to extend the drill bit to reach. Since the hole is high up in the carrier, and on the back side of the carrier, dirt and water intrusion should be minimal. A dab of silicone will seal it up completely.

Second opportunity for improvement: is there a better place to run the wires?

6. Thread the lamp wires thru the holes in the reflectors and mount the lamps onto the reflectors using the double sided tape.

7. Thread the wires through the holes in the spare tire carrier, and remount the diffuser.

8. Empty the trunk of all your junk. We need to move (or remove) the trunk side panels to get to the wiring.

9. Remove the spare tire cover.

10. Remove the trunk rear plastic trim panel. Unscrew all 4 cargo net holders. The trim panel is held in with several clips that will pop free.

11. Remove the 2 black push in retainers on each side of the trunk side panels. Needlenose work best here.

12. Move the side panel toward the center of the trunk. Careful they are delicate - if you want to remove them completely, they are fastened at the front edge with a eyelet and post arrangement, accessible with the rear seat passthru folded down.

13. Wiring - if you do not have the wiring adapter installed, you can connect the lamp wiring directly to the brake lamp OR turn signal lamp. There are several ways to make the connection - pins that push into the back of the connector (worst), connectors that clip onto the wiring (medium), and soldered connections (best).

14. If you have installed the trailer wiring adapter, the best place to connect is the output of the adapter.

15. At the left rear taillight main connector, here are the wiring colors -

CHARLIE OR SOMEBODY WITH A WIRING DIAGRAM - PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK ME

Light Blue - Stop
    Yellow / Black - Left Turn
    Purple - Driving

There is supposed to be a Green / White - Right Turn somewhere in the harness - I could not find it and didn't want to tear apart the harness looking for it, so I ran a wire over to the right tail light to pick it up there.

16. Test the lamps. If all is well, reassemble the trunk, hiding the new wiring. I made a tiny cutout in the rear trunk trim where the wires come up from the spare tire so as not to pinch the wires and cause a short.

A lot of work for a relatively small change (welcome to the 'moding cars' hobby ) but a pretty neat upgrade for $20.
    Last edited by -Ray-; 10-04-2009 at 06:27 AM. Reason: post instructions
    2008 MGM G8 GT - #615 of 888 - Premium/Sport - 12.6 @ 111 on stock tires

SHOW - Chromed Stock 19" Wheels - Color Matched Splash Guards - Debadged - G8 Tail Lights - GXP Diffuser - Painted Calipers - Red S/S Engine Bolt Kit - Under Hood Lights - too much Zaino
    GO - ARH Long Tube Headers / Midpipes - Billet Catch Can - BMR Front / Rear Swaybars - Camaro 3.45 diff - Custom non-DOD Cam and Valvetrain - Homegrown PCM / TCM Tuning - K&N Filter - Pedders 'Fruit' Suspension - Red Yella Terra Intake - Stealth Airbox
    ALSO - DashHawk 5.1 - Full Slide Passenger Seat - Infinity / Kicker / MTX Audio - LED Interior /Glovebox / Console Lights - Rear Remote Trunk Release

2. Thanks AFVet2013 thanked for this post
    Likes AFVet2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

its different

what we really need... is to put LEDs in all the turn signals... but i cannot find an electronic flasher for these things..
    White Hot 2008 Pontiac G8 GT 6.0L
    Daily Driver.
    1993 Ford Taurus SHO MTX.
    Garage Queen.
    3.2L Swap, Full Suspension, 13" Cobra Brakes.

-Gone: 2008 Liquid Red G8 GT, 12.44 @ 107 w/ 1.66'

Post Thanks / Like

Tom that is awesome!
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

5. Likes hflores3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's impressive. I love seeing originality. Post instructions!

Post Thanks / Like

thats a first, sets you apart i like it

2008 White Hot G8 GT

(new)499RWHP/474RWTQ Mustang Dyno
    (old)451RWHP / 498RWTQ Mustang Dyno
    1/4=11.400@118.7 17" Drag Radials, stall, cam 1.77 60'
    1/4=12.004@120.6 17" Drag Radials 2.03 60'
    1/4=12.270 @118.3 on 18" All Seasons 2.08 60'
    SLOWHAWK Tuned

If you can't say anything intelligent, say something loud and stupid
    My Garage

Post Thanks / Like

That looks good. I actually thought those were lights until I actually got my car. Do you have any pictures for a better look?
    08 G8 GT: MagnaCharger TVS MP1900 10psi, LS9 cam, 72# injectors, Roto-Fab CAI, SLP Headers, Corsa Catback, etc.
    My Garage

Formerly Known as Nikeair042 VENOM's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

very very nicely done
    2008 LR G8 GT

Great Lakes Moderator BlueJacket's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Great job, very interesting mod and a write up would be nice.

2008 Panther Black Metallic G8 GT
    2010 Camaro SS Wheels, Holden V8 Badges, Crazy Paul GPS Trim Package, Blacked Out Arrowheads, Red Calipers, Hawk HPS Pads, DBA 4000 T3 Rotors, Rebadged Trunk, 3.5" Stubby Antenna, Holden Engine Covers, Engine Cover Overlays, Engine Dress Up Items, Holden V6 Rad Cover, GXP Rear Diffuser W/Tinted Reflectors, Flips Tinted Tails, Hood Vent Mod, Grrrr8 IC Mod, Solo Mach Balanced Exhaust with 3.5" Tips and NEP OTR

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I like it, please post up the instructions for us.

Post Thanks / Like

That looks great, definitely instructions please.
    2009 Maverick Silver Metallic G8 GT