Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are my struts moving ?........ALOT

Post Thanks / Like

Default Why are my struts moving ?........ALOT

https://youtu.be/rl3rEly16qA

What is happening at the top that it moves that much ?

Help !
    09 G8 GXP Auto, 4dr GTO 13.60@104.2 6177 DA.... tvs2300 13.2@110.2 spinnig all the way !
    07 G5 GT 2.4T Auto, Baby GTO 13.20@106.4
    @ 4200' in the sky !
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewbrooks87 View Post
    towing stuff with cars is cool !

Post Thanks / Like

Have they ever been replaced? Many of these cars had strut bearings and bushings wear out prematurely from the slow boat ride from Australia where they were strapped down very tightly to the boat.
    2015 White Hot Chevy SS - Sunroof/Spare/Stick - BTR Stage 3 cam, headers, intake *Traded 11/11/2023*
    2018 GMC Sierra Denali 1500 - 6.2L, Ultimate Pack *Turned in 4/13/2021*
    2016 Jungle Green Metallic Chevy SS - Sunroof/Spare/Stick *Traded 2/1/18*
    2011 Radiant Silver Metallic CTS-V Wagon - Corsa Axleback, AirAid Intake *Traded 7/7/16*
    2008 Panther Black Metallic G8 GT * Sold 6/10/14*

Post Thanks / Like

Brand new set of Super Pro's installed, blue ones.

New struts over a year ago with purple Super Pro's installed by a friend,
    car seemed a bit loose on rough roads and got worse. I noticed the strut towers moving one day so I ordered a new set just in case.
    Took struts out and nothing looked odd or out of direction, so I replaced them any way.
    Above video is what I have now with new mounts
    09 G8 GXP Auto, 4dr GTO 13.60@104.2 6177 DA.... tvs2300 13.2@110.2 spinnig all the way !
    @ 4200' in the sky !

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

that movement is when you terming the steering wheel?

Post Thanks / Like

That's totally normal!

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

what were you doing to make it move like that - turning the wheel or pushing down on the chassis?

If turning the wheel some movement is going to happen but I don't believe it's that much.

First thing that comes to mind is your struts aren't the right length for the car/ride height and you don't have enough

Second thing is that the washer stack at the top where the mount meets the body isn't setup right and the nut isn't tightened correctly. If not stacked right I think (it's been a while since I had mine out) you could get a condition where the tighten up the second nut but the washer and body washer interfer and snug up without capturing the chassis tightly.

Can you turn the top nut with ease? in either direction
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like

Turning the steering was what was making it move.

The struts I bought from Pace, GXP FE3 strut and shock package over a year ago.
    The mounts are super pro with updated washers, both are installed correctly.

You can NOT turn the top nut except for the bit of spring loaded tension.

Old set did same as this set, guess I'll look at tie rods, this thing steers like crap, wondering around

I just don't know
    @ 4200' in the sky !

Post Thanks / Like

maybe there's a piece missing - or they aren't clocked right.

It's been a while since I did it but I vaguely remember there is a Left and Right and a certain positioning for the spring top such as to make sure it seats properly in the pockets. It's something to the affect of looking at the strut with the knuckle flanges behind it - spring, boot etc on - then the top plate has a orientation with respect to the strut body and when you put on the nut and torque it to hold the assembly it has to be in this position or it doesn't fit up under the car correctly. somewhere on this board or the other g8board there is a thread with some example pics. Once you see it it will look slightly obvious. Do they pop when you turn - usually when someone got it clocked wrong it would make popping noises

did you own the car since new - where there any modifications?

It needs to come back apart to see the setup and check it that's no where near right.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like

No pieces missing, W notch in top spring plate is facing the engine, spring is aligned with the factory marks on spring and top seat.

No popping or noise of any kind.
    Car was totally stock at 50,000 miles when I bought her.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    @ 4200' in the sky !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
    That's totally normal!
    Looks completely normal to me. Mine looks just like that. Pedders Street II and new bushings installed after the turbo fire.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.