Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: rear clunk when hitting brakes

Post Thanks / Like

Default rear clunk when hitting brakes

I have been getting this clunk, getting louder over the past couple months, only when I hit the brakes. Its coming from drivers side rear. Its now so loud, when I depress brake pedal, you hear a clunk, like something taking up slake. Then when I realease brake, another little clunk. So, if I pump the brakes, I can get it to CLUNK, clunk. As I press, clunk, then release, a little clunk. So, I got a buddy of mine to get outside the vehicle, to watch the rear wheel. Going 2 miles an hour, I hit the brakes, and clunk, he sees the whole wheel turn with the brake caliper and all index forward about 30 degrees, then when let off, it springs back to where it is supposed to be. You could see the toe link bolt move down the same amount of degrees, almost like the braking back plane, and everything attached to it was going to spin with wheel assembly, and twist off. So, not sure which bushing, or parts is supposed to hold the wheel mount solid while brakes are applied, but it is in a bad state of repair right now. Any ideas on which part?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Take video. I'm not going to guess.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Like Ray said: I'm not gonna guess.

But something is seriously wrong/missing from the suspension for the caliper and toe link to be moving. Don't drive it!

Post Thanks / Like

Both wheels exhibit the same behavior/movement?
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar clunk a while back. I thought it was something with the brakes, but when I got under the car and starting poking and prodding I found that one of my rear sway bar brackets had sheared off and the clunk I was hearing was from the sway bar moving when I braked and hitting the spare tire tub. I replaced the bracket and everything was good.

This is what my rear driver's side brake looked like with the sway bar bracket broken.
    Last edited by terryscott621; 05-21-2018 at 07:07 AM.
    Terry Scott
    San Antonio, TX

2009 G8 GXP - Sport Red Metallic (#821 of 1829 / #33 of 74 as Optioned)