Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Amp install problems

Post Thanks / Like

Default Amp install problems

I am not a noob to wiring, but this situation has thrown me for a loop.
    Currently trying to wire in a second amp. Have installed an LOC for the subs. Currently running power from the battery to the amp. Have the remote wire connected as well. The problem lies with my ground. No matter where I try to ground the amp, it will not power on. However, take the body ground (main battery ground cable) off of the battery and ground the amp straight to the battery, the amp comes on. Add the body ground cable back to the battery and the amp shuts off. Any ideas??? The main body ground cable must be connected for the car to work. I am stumped right now.
    2008 IOM GT
    219/223,625/625 112+0 "Little Lunati" Cam
    Pacesetter LT's, custom high-flow cats, 3" ARH X-pipe to Sole Axle-backs
    25% UDP
    Stage 1 ported heads
    Back-cut valves
    Vararam CAI
    HPTuners tuned
    Full Brembo Swap
    Camaro SS Wheels, Gloss Black Powedercoated
    385 rwhp/369 torque

Post Thanks / Like

How are you grounding it with the neg battery terminal off of the battery? Both battery terminals need to be connected to the car. If it works with neg cable disconnected, and stops when it is reattached then You are probably not using a correct remote turn on location(rem + key on only) . The amp should only come on when the ignition is switched on and/or car running.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

After no luck trying to get the amp to power on, I was trying different scenarios to try and get the amp to respond. With the remote wire not connected to the amp, I grounded the amp directly to the battery with the actual ground cable off of the battery as well. That is when I found what I was describing.
    I have also run a test light to track power and ground when everything is connected as it should be. All indicators are that the amp is getting the proper ground and power, yet amp is not powering up.
    I purchased the inline adapter that plugs into the back of the radio and adds the LOC as well as the remote wire. I also installed an 8-gauge wiring kit large enough to handle a 1000 watt amp, which is what I am installing. All wires were run to the trunk. The only wires I added in the trunk were the power wire with inline fuse and the ground wire. I have tried getting the power to engage with key on and key off. Same results both ways.
    All thoughts and feedback are welcomed.
    2008 IOM GT
    25% UDP
    Stage 1 ported heads
    Back-cut valves
    Vararam CAI
    HPTuners tuned
    Full Brembo Swap
    385 rwhp/369 torque

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Try running a remote power to the amp right from the battery to see if it'll stay on that way. Just to rule out your adapter.
    09 G8 GT SRM Premium Sport Sunroof

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:
    Bremmerkraft BR09 winter wheels, Weathertech floor liners, oil pan heater

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J Wikoff View Post
    Try running a remote power to the amp right from the battery to see if it'll stay on that way. Just to rule out your adapter.
    Will do and then I will post about what happened. Thanks.
    2008 IOM GT
    25% UDP
    Stage 1 ported heads
    Back-cut valves
    Vararam CAI
    HPTuners tuned
    Full Brembo Swap
    385 rwhp/369 torque

Post Thanks / Like

Found the problem. Ran a different remote wire from the amp straight to the positive side of the battery and the amp powered up. I will have to find a suitable "keyed" power supply back by the original amp and tap into it. Any suggestions?
    Thanks for everyone's help/suggestions.
    2008 IOM GT
    25% UDP
    Stage 1 ported heads
    Back-cut valves
    Vararam CAI
    HPTuners tuned
    Full Brembo Swap
    385 rwhp/369 torque

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jameshlynam View Post
    Found the problem. Ran a different remote wire from the amp straight to the positive side of the battery and the amp powered up. I will have to find a suitable "keyed" power supply back by the original amp and tap into it. Any suggestions?
    Thanks for everyone's help/suggestions.
    Above the factory sub amp there is a white harness with a few wires in it. One of those is keyed hot. I wanna say the hot is brown, but I can't remember. If you search for keyed accessory for amp turn on in trunk you'll find it.
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Post Thanks / Like

http://g8nation.com/showthread.php?t=33446
    Pin out info for entire car.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by STL_G8GT View Post
    Above the factory sub amp there is a white harness with a few wires in it. One of those is keyed hot. I wanna say the hot is brown, but I can't remember. If you search for keyed accessory for amp turn on in trunk you'll find it.
    Thanks for the info. It was the brown wire and I was able to tap in without any issues. Thanks again for the help.
    2008 IOM GT
    25% UDP
    Stage 1 ported heads
    Back-cut valves
    Vararam CAI
    HPTuners tuned
    Full Brembo Swap
    385 rwhp/369 torque