Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Help with Wheel Decision

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    44
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Help with Wheel Decision

    So with the winter months approaching and my GT being in need of new tires, I figured now is the time to look for new wheels. I'd like to move up to a 20" while keeping room for a move to V2 Brembos in the near future. I'm currently at a stock height but would consider lowering it a little as well. With that in mind, does anyone have personal opinions on what they think would work well? I know this is very opinion based but I'd like to hear some suggestions if you have them. I looked through the lengthy aftermarket wheel posts and got some ideas but the recent Photobucket changes make it a little more difficult. My favorites so far are the Breyton Race GTS, Avante Garde M510, and the Velgen VMB5 all in the silverish colors so you can kind of get the idea of what types of wheels I like. Anyone own anything similar to these that I may like? I'm open to anything as of now. Thanks everyone.

  2. #2
    Administrator Chewy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Bettendorf, IA
    Posts
    7,207
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't know what winter is for you. Here's it's cold, snow and ice. Personally, I don't believe our cars should run 20's. There's too little give to the sidewall and it just creates a shitty ride and beats the piss out of the car IMO.

    Lower it an inch and run some 19's and it'll look beautiful.

    VMR has some great wheels with great offsets for our cars.

    https://smile.amazon.com/photos/shar...TEJvcQsxGQW6GE

    2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

  3. #3
    VIP Member BuildItYourSelf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    merca!!!
    Posts
    1,393
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    There are 17's that will clear v2 fronts.
    I also agree 20's leave a small sidewall and ruin tires, wheels, and so on. I guess that depends on your roads.
    Im in pothole PA and rashed up my rear 19 with a 295/35 I dunno what the sidewall is exactly but I would say 2"?
    Wish I did 18's but couldn't find the right size/style.
    I had cts-v wheels before I went wider and wish I would have kept them. I like my new wheel but the v wheels look fit great on the g8. Plus they are a great wheel for the price.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

  4. #4
    Senior Member Unavowed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    359
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    20's for the street, 17's for snow, 18 front and 17 rear for drag racing, 18 or 19 all around for autocross or road course.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    44
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
    I don't know what winter is for you. Here's it's cold, snow and ice. Personally, I don't believe our cars should run 20's. There's too little give to the sidewall and it just creates a shitty ride and beats the piss out of the car IMO.

    Lower it an inch and run some 19's and it'll look beautiful.

    VMR has some great wheels with great offsets for our cars.

    https://smile.amazon.com/photos/shar...TEJvcQsxGQW6GE
    I'm in PA so winter sucks but I have a beater to drive then. I still have a thousand potholes to drive through during the other months and I have seen some beautiful lowered G8's on 19's so you might be onto something...

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    44
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BuildItYourSelf View Post
    There are 17's that will clear v2 fronts.
    I also agree 20's leave a small sidewall and ruin tires, wheels, and so on. I guess that depends on your roads.
    Im in pothole PA and rashed up my rear 19 with a 295/35 I dunno what the sidewall is exactly but I would say 2"?
    Wish I did 18's but couldn't find the right size/style.
    I had cts-v wheels before I went wider and wish I would have kept them. I like my new wheel but the v wheels look fit great on the g8. Plus they are a great wheel for the price.
    Yeah I'm in the Pittsburgh area and the potholes are pretty bad. I always thought 20's seemed to be the right size for the car but maybe I should stick to 19's and lower it a tad. What are the specs on the V wheels?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    44
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Unavowed View Post
    20's for the street, 17's for snow, 18 front and 17 rear for drag racing, 18 or 19 all around for autocross or road course.
    I guess I would only fall under the street category and maybe autocross eventually. Thinking that lowered a bit with 19's should be the way I go.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Unavowed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    359
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ejm41 View Post
    I guess I would only fall under the street category and maybe autocross eventually. Thinking that lowered a bit with 19's should be the way I go.
    In that case, hard to go wrong with a set of o.e. V2 wheels.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Lima, Ohio
    Posts
    52
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I have 20's off of a camaro. Love them.. rides great too.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Lima, Ohio
    Posts
    52
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •