Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gen 5 LT swap? What would it take?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JadXtreme View Post
    Sounds like unless I can find a 6th gen SS to pull the LT1 out of it, I'll be sticking with the LS.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    No. Even if you found a donor motor, you would have to rewire the car to get it to work. There is no value proposition here. I'll ask again; why? What are your goals? Power? MPG? Reduced emissions? Novelty?

Post Thanks / Like

LS3 is the logical choice. Direct drop in with about 70HP bump bone stock. Add headers and a tune and you'll get way more. Do more work and well you get it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Or LS7, or LSA or LS9. ALL much easier to swap than a new DI motor.

Post Thanks / Like

LS7 and LS9 are both dry sump that complicates things the LS3 and LSA are both easy drop ins.

The LS7 & LS9 would be more awesome though...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter View Post
    LS7 and LS9 are both dry sump that complicates things the LS3 and LSA are both easy drop ins.

The LS7 & LS9 would be more awesome though...

Agreed, but still easier than figuring out how to make DI work.

Post Thanks / Like

Y'all have effectively talked me out of using a Gen 5 anything. Lol. It was more of a hypothetical based upon if I could get a wrecked 6th gen SS. Gonna stick with either building my L76 or getting a wrecked 5th gen for the LS3, trans, rear end, and wheels for the G8 GT.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Get a LSA out of a wrecked V, sell the blower, put your intake manifold on it and an AGP twin turbo kit along with supporting fuel system mods. 800-1000 rwhp easy.

Too many projects.
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not saying it can't be done.

But the G8/SS chassis is a different architecture than the LT application...there are some differences...packaging...

Dirty Dingo sells adapter plates, I am sure many others do too [I am not affiliated with them, just popped up]

On top of the DI, realize that even the SS switched to a non PS system, so you will need to adapt the PS system from the G8 over.

I'd probably give the LT more time to mature.
    2017 Chevy SS / OrangeBlast / A6/ Spare/ Roof - hers
    2016 Chevy SS / Jungle / M6 / Spare / Roof
    2013 Chevy Avalanche / Z71 / FGM / Roof
    2009 Pontiac G8 GXP / SBM / M6 / No Roof
    1988 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon (modified)
    2009 Saab 9-3 Combi / 2.0T

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn’t take much at all when you really dig into this swap fuel system would go from mechanical returnless system (what I believe the V8 G8s have) to a true PWM returnless system that has the fuel pumps controlled by Fpdm like many of the Ford cars have and an inline fuel sensor. Routing the fuel system would relatively stay the same from the tank up until the high pressure mechanical fuel pump, then DI takes over. Getting this in the car and having it run would be the easy part, headers is simple, buy G8 ls headers remove ls flanges and weld on some Gen 5 flanges and be done.

Now having this drive like a stock car is where the problem really is. The two biggest issues (one has already been tackled by a hand full of companies) is powers steering (Gen 5s have electric power steering, but again customs brackets have been made to allow one to add a power steering pump) second and what I feel is the main reason these swaps can’t be done at the moment would be getting the G8 gauge cluster to communicate with the Gen 5 engine, and what happens to the BCM? Does it still work correctly with the original G8 ecm disconnected can-bus makes this almost impossible. A whole car isn’t needed for this swap to actually make this run, stand alone harness to control the L83, L86 or LT1 and transmission either a 6l80 or a 8l90. For V8 guys this is pointless when a proven route has already been paved for making more power, but for v6 guys if there is a way to have the BCM act normal and have the cluster gauge run like stock and communicate with a Gen 5 engine this swap is totally worth it. To go from a v6 5 speed to the latest and greatest Chevy V8 with an 8 speed automatic with he potential to do throw a LT4 supercharger on top in a G8 would be bad ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greed View Post
    Getting this in the car and having it run would be the easy part, headers is simple, buy G8 ls headers remove ls flanges and weld on some Gen 5 flanges and be done.
    How does that fix the fact that the LT switched the intake and exhaust valve positions so the exhaust ports have moved? Lining up the G8 header tubes onto the LT flange would move the header around too much and cause interference with other vehicle components. Customer headers would need to be fab'd IMO.

Piggy backing to the stock ECU is really the only way to get this engine to integrate with the G8 systems.
    -Greg
    888-748-4655
    All Prices in posts are subject to change at anytime.
    Check us out at www.PacePerformance.com

2009.5 Liquid Red G8 GT
    2009 MSM Supercharged G8 GXP M6 - 11.51 @ 126.09
    586rwhp/495tq