Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: power steering leak at cooler?

Post Thanks / Like

Default power steering leak at cooler?

Car was extra whiny today. After about 7 miles it was grinding when I turned the steering wheel so I popped the hood and I have no p/s fluid. Bought a bottle of Dex6 and problem went away.

So I'm looking at the pump and the reservoir and it looks dry. Under the car is wet with red, but up by the front of the bumper not under the pump. When I trace the lines to where it cools, it LOOKS like the bottom of the a/c compressor is where the ps fluid cools? And thats where its leaking. Right where the line turns perpendicular to the car and then I cant see where it goes is wet. So either the cooler is broken or the line going onto it or hopefully its just loose. Then whats really weird and freaking me out, is the OTHER side of the cooler where the other ps line is (didnt figure out which was is in and which out) is also wet. How could both be leaking at the same time? The drivers side is soaked and the pass side just a little wet. I guess its possible if its leaking on drivers side and I make a left turn the fluid goes under the cooler and wets that side? Weird.

Before I go and take out the radiator/ac condensor to see whats up, anyone have any insight? Is the p/s cooler really part of the condenser? Or is it going into the bottom of rad and I cant see? Is there a hose clamp there or some other attachment? Am I probably buying a whole new ps line? Is it better to remove whole rad with condenser or take off bumper and tackle it from there?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TurboMike View Post
    Before I go and take out the radiator/ac condensor to see whats up, anyone have any insight? Is the p/s cooler really part of the condenser? Or is it going into the bottom of rad and I cant see? Is there a hose clamp there or some other attachment? Am I probably buying a whole new ps line? Is it better to remove whole rad with condenser or take off bumper and tackle it from there?
    I can't help with all of your questions but can confirm that the power steering cooler is part of the A/C condenser and the lines are held on by hose clamps. I had to disconnect these lines when I moved the condenser out of the way for my cam swap.
    Len

White Hot 2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT
    TVS1900 | Custom Texas Speed & Performance cam spec'd and remote tuned by Patrick Guerra | LS9 Injectors | Rotofab CAI | Corsa catback | Kooks 1-7/8" LTs with catted connectors