Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metal heatsink dust caps?

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Metal heatsink dust caps?

I don't know how much it might cost yet, but... I am planning on measuring up and cad modeling the stock dust caps, adding some room and fins for cooling, and getting them machined out of aluminum. Now, these won't be cheap like Morimoto's rubber extensions that require you cut apart your stock originals and end up insulating the bulbs. These that I'd get machined would be setup to accommodate something to help transmit heat from an led bulb's heatsink out to the dust cap, something like a wad of aluminum wool. My guess is they would cost $100 a pair. If I get something successful setup, would anyone else want some?
    09 G8 GT SRM Premium Sport Sunroof

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:
    Bremmerkraft BR09 winter wheels, Weathertech floor liners, oil pan heater

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com

Post Thanks / Like

Sure like to see what you come up with. Still running stock high beams with HID lows.
    Would it make any sense to design an end that would bond on once the back of the stocker was shaved down?
    I'm not a designer by any means, but might save a bit of work .

On another note, has anyone compared dimensions of the lights that are known to perform? Some appear bulkier than others.
    things are not what they appear to be.....

2009.5 Liquid Red,Onyx Red, Premium Package, e85 Surprise Package

Post Thanks / Like

I would be interested. Always wanted led headlights that would fit in dust covers.
    2009 WH GT Prem/Sprt w/Sunroof, Trunk liner, Custom-fitted Sunshade, Sony GPS, LED Rear License Plate Lights. X-PEL Headlight Protectors, Osram Nightbreaker Low- Beams, Redline armrest cover, Raceramp Flatstoppers, Led Reverse Lights, Led Taillights, Led Foglights, Genuine HSV Seat Belt Shouder Pads, Commodore VF rear window interior sunshade direct from AU. No Performance Mods, maybe someday just get a 480HP Crate Engine from GMPerformance.

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

I like that idea. Then you could adjust the depth as you want it, and you could have slots for wiring if you want your ballast or power block, whatever that box is on a lot of led pigtails, outside of the dust cap.

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:

VIP Member with OCD Executor999's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am interested too since so far my experiments with universal dust caps have failed. I don't mind if the heatsinks are exposed but want some sort of sealed cover for the dust cap opening. The stock dust cap for the high beam won't fit due to how much the heatsink sticks out, while the one for the low beam does fit, it's a little too snug for my comfort, and all that heat needs to go somewhere.
    Last edited by Executor999; 07-07-2017 at 05:35 PM.

2008 Pontiac G8 GT | PBM | Premium Package | Tuned by Patrick G | Wrenched by Enhanced Street Performance
    AC Delco | ARP | ATI | BMR | Centric | GForce Engineering | GM | Holden | Kooks | Manton | Moog | Norris Motorsports | Patrick G | Pedders | Pirelli | PRC | RCR | Rotofab | Russell | Texas Speed | SuperPro | Xforce

'Charlie the GRRRR8' - Rest in Peace 11/14/2013

Post Thanks / Like

I'm listening...

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

Something I would like to see before I go and install my HIDs I have laying around.
    2009 White Hot G8 GT w/ Onyx/Red Int. Sport/Premium, No Sunroof, Garage Queen

Borla Cat Back, VCM OTR Intake, DBA 4000 Slotted rotors and Hawk Ceramic pads, GXP Diffuser painted White, GXP Fascia, Crystal Clear side markers, Black Scoops, 20% Tint all around. 20" Camaro SS polished staggered, Shark Fin, Infinity 6032si front and Polk db651s rear

R.I.P. Charlie (Mr GRRRR8)
    R.I.P. Chris (Panzer Leader)

"Mongo only pawn in game of life"

Post Thanks / Like

Don't people have trouble melting plastic as it is?
    Sounds like a bad idea.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

The point would be not melt any plastic.

Winter-wear:

Post Thanks / Like

for it to function as a good heatsink you need significant contract and constant pressure. Just sayin'

Otherwise personally I think you'd be better off making up some tight hole and the ability for the heat sink to sit outside of the caps in free air. like they are designed to do.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes