Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: DOD delete 2009 G8

Post Thanks / Like

Default DOD delete 2009 G8

Well i went gong-ho after i a lifter started ticking. Had already planned on doing this anyway. Pulled the heads and lifters, found cyl #5 and #6 lifters pitted 5 was light 6 was destroyed. done a quick check of the walls, seen nothing at the time, thought I'm good. So i went to Texas Speed and got all the goodies $2100 there, another $300 there, specialty tools, new oil pump timing gears and chain, pulled the oil pan "which was simple and way better than bending the pickup tube" push rods, cam, SLP harmonic balancer, break in oil etc. Sent the heads off for new springs, valves, port work. Got a powerbuy from Maryland Speed on the HPTuner pro "gonna be a learning curve on this one". Now I'm up to about $4000 Was cleaning the piston tops lastnight and found light scoring on cyl #6 How i missed it the first time is beyond me. Major cluster puk!. Able too feel it, but can't catch a nail on it. Advice would be much appreciated. 72,000 on motor. https://gyazo.com/3af3b6c9ec30fdf225eb449756543216
    https://gyazo.com/6036a34b232b8beeab12b3172521a9a7
    Last edited by Code187; 07-04-2017 at 04:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Code187 View Post
    Well i went gong-ho after i a lifter started ticking. Had already planned on doing this anyway. Pulled the heads and lifters, found cyl #5 and #6 lifters pitted 5 was light 6 was destroyed. done a quick check of the walls, seen nothing at the time, thought I'm good. So i went to Texas Speed and got all the goodies $2100 there, another $300 there, specialty tools, new oil pump timing gears and chain, pulled the oil pan "which was simple and way better than bending the pickup tube" push rods, cam, SLP harmonic balancer, break in oil etc. Sent the heads off for new springs, valves, port work. Got a powerbuy from Maryland Speed on the HPTuner pro "gonna be a learning curve on this one". Now I'm up to about $4000 Was cleaning the piston tops lastnight and found light scoring on cyl #6 How i missed it the first time is beyond me. Major cluster puk!. Able too feel it, but can't catch a nail on it. Advice would be much appreciated. 72,000 on motor. https://gyazo.com/3af3b6c9ec30fdf225eb449756543216
    https://gyazo.com/6036a34b232b8beeab12b3172521a9a7
    I got nothin for ya... I would keep searching online... Good luck!
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Post Thanks / Like

I do appreciate the time it took you too reply, but i was kinda expecting more than keep searching online instead of working on your post count...LOL! Was looking for maybe "the block is shit, ehh, it will get by for awhile. Fooling myself thinging i was gonna get any real answers here. Gonna order a short block, problem solved. Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

LMAO, 1 reply on a small forum, and you're ordering a short block for minor scoring/normal wear.

Why did you order break in oil for a used hydraulic roller motor? These cams have nothing to "break in".

Hope you didn't order a huge cam or HPT is gonna have a really steep learning curve to it. Get ready to get real friendly with the the min airflow, idle PIDS, and adaptive spark tables. There's good theads on the HPT forums on gen 4 idle tuning.
    Last edited by gatorayde; 07-04-2017 at 05:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

$4000 in and you find this. I understand your frustration. I would be too. You did the right thing by ordering the short block. Don't kick the can down the road. Who would want to go to the trouble of the DOD delete and the other stuff only to drive around knowing that you had an eventual grenade in there? That was not the post install experience you envisioned. With the short block you can have that experience. Besides, with cylinder wear like that, you were going to be buying a short block sometime in the future anyway. SO do it all, do it now, DO IT ONCE, and do it right, the first time. Good luck. Gung-ho. Damn the torpedoes, yada yada. Onward, thru the fog...
    Last edited by TonyKarter; 07-04-2017 at 05:52 PM.
    2009 MGM GT: VCM CAI, ARH LT headers (no cats), Vector Tune, MT drag radials
    Procharger P1SC still powering the box it came in January 2010, hiding somewhere in the back of my man cave.
    PB: 12.533 @ 111.45 w/ 1.951 60' CLAIMING THE INTAKE/LT/TUNE/DR RECORD UNLESS SOMEBODY GOT GAME
    And nobody ever had game.

"There are but three true sports...mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. The rest are merely games." Ernest Hemmingway

"Racing is life. Everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen in the movie LeMans

Only two things smell like fish...and one of them is fish. unknown

Assigned male at birth, I now identify as a lesbian, but with extra equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TonyKarter View Post
    $4000 in and you find this. I understand your frustration. I would be too. You did the right thing by ordering the short block. Don't kick the can down the road. Who would want to go to the trouble of the DOD delete and the other stuff only to drive around knowing that you had an eventual grenade in there? That was not the post install experience you envisioned. With the short block you can have that experience. Besides, with cylinder wear like that, you were going to be buying a short block sometime in the future anyway. SO do it all, do it now, DO IT ONCE, and do it right, the first time. Good luck. Gung-ho. Damn the torpedoes, yada yada. Onward, thru the fog...
    A full short block for minor scoring? Whatever helps you sleep at night. You could hone it out with ease and save yourself thousands if you really want peace of mind. Engine builders love you guys. I get it if you have tons of coin to throw around, but to each his own.
    Last edited by gatorayde; 07-04-2017 at 06:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I do appreciate the time it took you too reply, but i was kinda expecting more than keep searching online instead of working on your post count...LOL! Was looking for maybe "the block is shit, ehh, it will get by for awhile. Fooling myself thinging i was gonna get any real answers here. Gonna order a short block, problem solved. Thanks for the help.
    I don't give a shit about my post count, and neither should you. I told you what I'd do because I like to learn and don't personally have a definite answer for you just yet based on two small surface marks that you can't hardly catch a nail on. More searching would probably get you a sampling of knowledge from all over, and then you could make an informed decision. I just wanted to acknowledge your question and let you know someone gave a shit about the block issues. You put 2100 into a cam swap and are ready to order a short block to replace a 76k LS. I've put 15k mountain driving and hard hauling miles on my cam swapped 186k 5.3 dod 08 sierra that I did for less than $500 so what the fuck do I know.
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Post Thanks / Like

You're fooling yourself thinking you won't get good info here, but do it your way.....
    things are not what they appear to be.....

2009.5 Liquid Red,Onyx Red, Premium Package, e85 Surprise Package

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure you realize that yesterday was a holiday. You aren't the first person to get into a motor and find more shit. This block and rotating assembly are good as long as metal hasn't found it's way through. If I'm pulling the engine I'd look at the bearings before honed the jugs. If all that's good, you can fix it with the block still in the car. Oil pump goes regardless.

You've been on this forum for 3 years. What would make you think you couldn't get any answers here?
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.