Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Leak Issues at Pump

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fuel Leak Issues at Pump

Was going to take care of a few issues today so that I can actually drive the car and not have it sit in the garage. One issue I have had is an increasingly strong fuel smell in the cabin after it is parked. The car never set a code, so I did not think it was anything evap related. Today I pulled the cover off the pump to see if I could figure out what was going on. First thing I noticed was that the quick connect fuel line connector was not in alignment with the fitting on the pump. I turned the ignition to run briefly and saw a minor fuel leak from this connector I am pointing at in the first picture.

Ray - was this the type of connector that caused your fire issues?

So, I was attempting to jiggle the connector around a little bit to see if I could get it in better alignment. I was not applying much pressure at all and I heard a SNAP and a hissing. Apparently I broke the plastic fitting on the pump I am pointing to in the second picture. I now have a major fuel leak

Questions:

Do I have to buy a whole new CTS-V pump or is there a way to replace the fitting on the pump with something less brittle?

Any suggestions on a part number to replace the junk plastic quick connect fitting so that this does not happen again?

Current setup is a CTS-V pump with the original Vaporworx controller.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rotohack 102 intake - 102 MAF - TPIS 102 TB - TVS1900 ported & plated w 8 rib 2.5" front + OD rear
    PnP Interchiller - RCR ported heads - RCR Lunati 219/231 113+1 - Forged Bottom End
    ARH 2" LT headers - Solo 3" CB - MT DRs + M&H FRs on Weld RT-S
    CTS-V fuel w Vaporworx - FAST 85s - Alkycontrol meth M15 + M10 - RCR tune
    9.75@139.2 ? rwhp ? rwtq

Post Thanks / Like

I can't view the pics... Sorry to hear the troubles.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
    08' Pontiac G8 GT PBM
    11.323@121.66 Rock Falls Raceway 10-11-14
    N/A RCR Car

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, that's a Fragola push on connector. Sorry about the fuel pump.

You need to check out Russel.
    Last edited by -Ray-; 06-12-2017 at 03:58 AM.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by -Ray- View Post
    Yep, that's a Fragola push on connector. Sorry about the fuel pump.

You need to check out Russel.
    Is this the correct one? http://www.jegs.com/i/Russell/799/64...FQmBswodIL8H2A

Rotohack 102 intake - 102 MAF - TPIS 102 TB - TVS1900 ported & plated w 8 rib 2.5" front + OD rear
    PnP Interchiller - RCR ported heads - RCR Lunati 219/231 113+1 - Forged Bottom End
    9.75@139.2 ? rwhp ? rwtq

Post Thanks / Like

Has that snapped at the module end white part or at the fitting within the quick connect ? Depending on what the fitting looks like underneath the module, it may be removeable.as to be able to install a better replacement fitting inside the module, I believe the pump to the inside of that fitting is a shrink type fitting, which is no problem since their are kits for that too, If you can get some pics of the underside, that should bring back some memory as all my spare modules are deep in the attic
    2009.5 G8 GT Maverick Silver;Sport/Prem,Sunroof, Nav kit,
    Vararam,Holden badge kit, Kooks 1 7/8, VMS Tuned
    2009 White Hot/Red G8 GT;Sport/Prem,Sunroof, Nav kit,,Holden badges,Kooks 1 7/8, Maggie TVS 1900,VMS Tuned. Injection is great but i love being blown!
    2001 Trans Am WS6 NBM/Camel, 6spd. 21K Miles
    2001 G/P GT= beater

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
    That's the one I used. I have to give credit to Pete for pointing those out to me.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

I originally ran the push on style until I found out how bad they were and promptly switched over to the thread on style. Since my application was a ton more vibration than the G8 would be, I put a dab of blue locktite on the threads for good measure. Do yourself a favor and switch over any of those push on fittings to the thread on style.
    - Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to be late to the party.

That is not the correct fitting. For a 3/8" quick connect to AN6 the Russell P/N is 644123. https://www.vaporworx.com/product/fpofgmqcan6/

The OEM plastic body fittings with the plastic retaining clip as shown seem to be fine. There is something not right with the aftermarket aluminum parts such that the retaining clip does not do its job. In May 2013 I observed on a friends car the plastic clip fitting come off at an attachment point just above the headers. If the fuel system did not shut down (it has a VaporWorx controller) and its was not raining, the odds of his AMX burning to the ground would be much higher. The next week I sent, at no charge, every customer that purchased the plastic clip part a new 644123 fitting.

As for the fitting on the module, there is no easy way to fix it. If you are handy and have access to a mill a bulkhead AN6 90* can be modified and fitted to the hat. A barb fitting will also need to be modified and fitted to the bulkhead fitting to accept the underhat flexihose. The hat is not replaceable.

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Carl. I think I am going to try to fix my existing pump. I do not like the thought of spending $400 for a new one. Reading the CTS-V forums it seems like that fitting likes to break on pumps that are stock and have never even been removed. Weak design. If I fix it, it will be better than new. I plan on digging my stock fuel pump out of the attic this weekend so I have something to plug the hole while I deal with the CTS-V pump. I do not have a mill, but know someone who has access. Can you give me an idea of the modifications necessary to the bulkhead 90 and the barb?

9.75@139.2 ? rwhp ? rwtq

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck with this, Curt. Seems like a replacement hat would be ideal offering for as many of these that break on folks.
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader