Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Securing Rear Bumper Cover

Post Thanks / Like

Default Securing Rear Bumper Cover

Got a little too close to a cement parking block while backing in to a parking space tonight. When I pulled forward, the 3 black push pins connecting the painted bumper cover to the underside of the spare tire well ripped out. All three of the holes on the spare tire well are destroyed and useless and 1 of the holes on the painted bumper cover is cracked.

The bumper is sill half way secured but it does sway front to back. It looks like replacing the spare tire well completely is rather expensive and difficult.

Any ideas??

Post Thanks / Like

I had one pop like that about 2 or 3 years ago. There was enough of a stub to drill a hole and secure it with a zip tie.

JAM

Post Thanks / Like

GM sells a repair kit. Let me see if I can find it.

Edit:
    Here are the instructions. I'm still searching for the bracket inserts that are mentioned

Spare Wheel Stowage Bracket Repair
    Warning: Refer to Approved Equipment for Collision Repair Warning.

 1. Remove the rear bumper fascia. Refer to Rear Bumper Fascia Replacement.
     2. Remove any broken or hanging debris (1) from the damaged lug(s).
     3. Using a panel file or similar, carefully remove the “lip” (1) on the back edge of the lug(s). Ensure that the lug is not filed.
     4. Using 180–200 grit abrasive paper, scuff the exterior surface of the damaged lug(s).
     5. Clean the exterior of the damaged lug(s) to be repaired with Prepsol or similar solvent to remove dust, grease, and fibers.
     6. Using 180–200 grit abrasive paper, scuff the interior surface of the replacement bracket(s).
     7. Clean the interior of the replacement bracket(s) with Prepsol or similar solvent to remove dust, grease, and paint powder.
    Note: To achieve a better fit with the lug(s), bend the sides of the bracket(s) in or out, as required. There should be 1–2 mm gap between the bracket and lug surfaces for adhesive.

 8. Inspect the fit of the lug(s) to the appropriate bracket(s).
     9. Apply Sika® Sikaflex-206 G&P surface primer to interior surfaces of bracket(s) and exterior surfaces of lug(s) and allow to dry.
    10. Apply Sika® Sikaflex-206 adhesive to the interior bracket bonding surfaces, according to product instructions.

11. Push bracket(s) (1) onto lug(s) and remove excess adhesive.
    12. Insert a plastic bumper fascia fastener (2) into the lug, to hold the bracket in place.
    13. Apply adhesive tape over the bracket(s) (3). Allow the adhesive 48 hours cure time to completely cure, according to product instructions.
    14. After the adhesive has completely cured, remove the adhesive tape and plastic fastener.
    15. Inspect the repair and the bracket for movement. The bracket should feel quite rigid, but with a very small amount of flex, from the adhesive.
    16. Install the rear bumper fascia. Refer to Rear Bumper Fascia Replacement.
    Last edited by Greg@PacePerformance; 03-24-2017 at 06:45 AM.
    888-748-4655
    All Prices in posts are subject to change at anytime.
    Check us out at www.PacePerformance.com

2009.5 Liquid Red G8 GT
    2009 MSM Supercharged G8 GXP M6 - 11.51 @ 126.09
    586rwhp/495tq

4. Thanks donkeyGT, -Ray- thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The GM repair bracket kit is part number 92253748
    888-748-4655
    All Prices in posts are subject to change at anytime.
    Check us out at www.PacePerformance.com

2009.5 Liquid Red G8 GT
    2009 MSM Supercharged G8 GXP M6 - 11.51 @ 126.09
    586rwhp/495tq

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk