Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: What shape and size are holes in trunk lid after spoiler removal?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What shape and size are holes in trunk lid after spoiler removal?

I'm semi-seriously considering getting the PFYC "Holden" SV6 spoiler, painted to match; it runs about $235. But I cannot afford the $500-$650 local shops want to fill in the five holes that are exposed once you remove the stock spoiler and paint the deck lid so IF I do this swap I'll be painting some flush-mount nylon plugs to fill in the holes. Not ideal I know but I've seen some pics of it done well and it doesn't look too bad or overly conspicuous, plus you can remove them if you ever want or need to reinstall the stocker.
    So... my question is, what shape and exact size are the five holes? In some pics I've seen they almost look oval but I'm not sure and I definitely don't know what diameter they are. Can anyone please enlighten me? Thanks!
    Last edited by cincy09gt; 03-03-2017 at 02:39 PM.
    2009 SRM GT: Cortex tuned, Spectre Intake, VMAX ported TB, Solo HFC's, X-pipe, Solo axle-back, a few bling pieces under the hood, Billet Custom catch can, Holden radiator cover, "SV6" wing spoiler, GXP diffuser, rear window roof spoiler, "PONTIAC" 3rd brake light insert, Holden V8/6.0 Liter badges, Holden chrome trunk strip, VG shark fin, All-Fit Auto lower front lip, drilled & slotted rotors, painted calipers, Ultra-guage, custom-made "dead pedal".

Post Thanks / Like

They are round. Mine were filled.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, finally got the stock spoiler off in one piece; those five clips were a PITA to get to release. The answer to my question at the outset of this thread is: the middle hole is round, 5/16th's in diameter, and the two on either side of that are, for some reason, a rectangular oval, 5/16th's top to bottom and 3/8th's side to side. At least for the short term I'm just going to fill them with vinyl plugs, painted to color match the car (Sport Metallic Red).
    2009 SRM GT: Cortex tuned, Spectre Intake, VMAX ported TB, Solo HFC's, X-pipe, Solo axle-back, a few bling pieces under the hood, Billet Custom catch can, Holden radiator cover, "SV6" wing spoiler, GXP diffuser, rear window roof spoiler, "PONTIAC" 3rd brake light insert, Holden V8/6.0 Liter badges, Holden chrome trunk strip, VG shark fin, All-Fit Auto lower front lip, drilled & slotted rotors, painted calipers, Ultra-guage, custom-made "dead pedal".

4. Thanks JAFO thanked for this post
    Too many projects.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to get a whole trunk and get it repainted eventually.
    2017 Chevy SS / OrangeBlast / A6/ Spare/ Roof - hers
    2016 Chevy SS / Jungle / M6 / Spare / Roof
    2013 Chevy Avalanche / Z71 / FGM / Roof
    2009 Pontiac G8 GXP / SBM / M6 / No Roof
    1988 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon (modified)
    2009 Saab 9-3 Combi / 2.0T

Post Thanks / Like

Where did you get the plugs ? Part number?
    --Brian--

2009 Pontiac G8 GT
    2008 Chevy Impala SS--Traded 4/1/2021
    2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus
    2001 GMC Sierra

GODSPEED CHARLIE!!! R.I.P.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
    Where did you get the plugs ? Part number?
    At Autozone. There's a small carousel with different auto fasteners of all sorts. The ones I got are made by a company called Needa; their p/n 464340. They are 5/16th's body panel fasteners. They fit very nicely/securely into the middle round hole and pretty well into the semi-oval ones too. The caps/heads are big enough (but not too big) to completely cover even the oval holes. I ran a small bead of silicone sealant around the underside of the caps and then when I pressed the plugs into the holes and held them there I just carefully wiped any excess silicone off of the edges on the trunk lid. I had previously painted them to match my body color (Red Passion Metallic/Sport Metallic Red). Personally, I think these look fine, will be semi-obscured when the new spoiler is on, and cost a hell of a lot less than the $500 or so it cost to get the holes filled in and the whole trunk lid repainted by a body shop. Plus, there are tons of cars that have vinyl caps hiding fasteners on their exteriors, usually front and rear bumper areas, including many high-end models so I don't think this looks too odd. Here's a few pics. I will of course post up some more when I get the SV6 spoiler installed after it arrives Friday. The uncovered holes you see on each side are the holes that the new spoiler will bolt into (you have to drill one additional one on each side inboard of those also).

Last edited by cincy09gt; 03-22-2017 at 05:55 PM.

8. Thanks JAFO thanked for this post
    Likes JAFO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also thought like you do that the new spoiler will "hide" the plugs unless you get low when looking at it. Look forward to seeing your results when you get done. Did you order the spoiler off of eBay, Amazon or the one from PFYC ?
    --Brian--

2009 Pontiac G8 GT
    2008 Chevy Impala SS--Traded 4/1/2021
    2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus
    2001 GMC Sierra

GODSPEED CHARLIE!!! R.I.P.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
    Also thought like you do that the new spoiler will "hide" the plugs unless you get low when looking at it. Look forward to seeing your results when you get done. Did you order the spoiler off of eBay, Amazon or the one from PFYC ?
    I got this one from ebay. I had several communications with the owner and got a good vibe from him. They make/sell spoilers for a bunch of cars and they're made in the US, Texas. I'll definitely post up what I think of it and several pics once I get it sometime tomorrow.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/401232315887...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT