Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Going to do my Own Oil & Filter changing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 52WASP View Post
    Doing the oil change yourself is not a bad idea. One less thing for the monkeys to screw up. I have been using the same shop for my vehicles for years, but recently the owner opened a second shop, solely for commercial vehicles. The new guy he has pulling wrenches now is a nice enough guy, but wondered why I was pissed he put all TEN quarts (2 Mobil 1 5-qt jugs) into the motor! "doesn't this have the dry-sump motor?" he asks, as he is looking up at a plain old "wet" sump pan...
    Yep clueless for sure and gave me a good feeling of knowing a job well done!
    2009 Panther Black Metallic "The Black Rat"
    Current Modifications: Front end, Roof Pillars & Front top of roof has Clear Shield, Holden V8 6.0 Badges, Holden V Trunk Badge from Crazy Paul, UPR Catch Can, Corsa Exhaust & Roto Fab CAI. Spare Tire and Jack and Tinted Window's, hood scoops gutted, Poor Mans Heater Hose modification (holding up the hoses with zip ties), Painted the front dart to Panther Black.

Patrick Guerra's Tune July 12, 2010: 345 HP, 355 Torque on 87 Octane
    Patrick's & Kurt's install of Kooks Long tubes 1 7/8" w/Corsa Connection Pipes
    11-3-10: 362 rwhp, 372 Torque and updated engine and transmission tune.

New Engine as of 10- 5, 2011. Patrick & Kurt's tune and dyno 10-19 2011:363 rwhp, 365 Torque 93 octane.
    Sounds so GRRRR8 BECAUSE RACE CAR

7-1-14 Brembo Front Brake upgrade & Bohnam Front Splitter installed Curt here

Post Thanks / Like

Been doing my own oil changes and basic servicing for years. I cannot see spending what the dealers charge for shit that can be done in my garage.

One thing that pisses me off is that I now need new TPMS sensors and they want a frigging fortune for new ones.
    2009 White Hot G8 GT w/ Onyx/Red Int. Sport/Premium, No Sunroof, Garage Queen

Borla Cat Back, VCM OTR Intake, DBA 4000 Slotted rotors and Hawk Ceramic pads, GXP Diffuser painted White, GXP Fascia, Crystal Clear side markers, Black Scoops, 20% Tint all around. 20" Camaro SS polished staggered, Shark Fin, Infinity 6032si front and Polk db651s rear

R.I.P. Charlie (Mr GRRRR8)
    R.I.P. Chris (Panzer Leader)

"Mongo only pawn in game of life"

Post Thanks / Like

Can you order one from discount tire or another tire shop?
    Current Modifications: Front end, Roof Pillars & Front top of roof has Clear Shield, Holden V8 6.0 Badges, Holden V Trunk Badge from Crazy Paul, UPR Catch Can, Corsa Exhaust & Roto Fab CAI. Spare Tire and Jack and Tinted Window's, hood scoops gutted, Poor Mans Heater Hose modification (holding up the hoses with zip ties), Painted the front dart to Panther Black.

New Engine as of 10- 5, 2011. Patrick & Kurt's tune and dyno 10-19 2011:363 rwhp, 365 Torque 93 octane.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texn884 View Post
    Can you order one from discount tire or another tire shop?
    yeah discount tire direct has them for sale but the price is a little steep.

I might get them through Amazon ..found ones that say OEM with 2 diff pt#s that match the G8.

Borla Cat Back, VCM OTR Intake, DBA 4000 Slotted rotors and Hawk Ceramic pads, GXP Diffuser painted White, GXP Fascia, Crystal Clear side markers, Black Scoops, 20% Tint all around. 20" Camaro SS polished staggered, Shark Fin, Infinity 6032si front and Polk db651s rear

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
    LAND FILL? You don't take it to be recycles and keep it out of the water table.

Tsk tsk. Seriously places will take it for free.

I use a pan similar to your first post TEXN - mines older design though. But I don't keep or transport the oil in that. I reuse the jugs I buy the oil in - and I keep atleast 2 on hand at all time - empty. I then empty the capture pan into the jugs - put jugs in a trash bag - put in trunk of car and dump the crap at Autozone or O'reilly.

You're paying the fee when you buy the oil anyway you might as well take the moment to dispose of it properly.
    LOL.. When I typed that I wondered how it would be read and thought maybe I should say it differently. My local landfill has a big drum to recycle oil I dump it into...and a handy dumpster for oil filters and empty bottles. I recycle everything I can ..... I'm OCD on many things recycling being one of them.

That pan works great! simple sometimes is the best. Cleans up nice.
    '09 White Hot GT, Premium, Sunroof - SOLD May 2021

Holden leather armrest, rear ashtray/cig lighter, Homelink, Auto dimming rearview mirror, Atari gauges by SAS & GTPprix, glove box light, LCD interior lights, GXP diffuser, 6.0 litre badges, painted calipers, BMR subframe connectors & drive shaft tunnel brace, Polk DB651 & DB6501 component speakers, Factory bluetooth, BMR x-member bushings, Corsa, many dealer installed mods (ie Fixes ). Waiting to install: Nothing.. I need to find the credit card!

Post Thanks / Like

AH SO. I know it's not really common to be ecologically inclined on a car website that doesn't say prius, tesla, or leaf on it.

but used oil is one of my few major concerns.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like

When I got the drain plug out I did not have the drain pan just quite right so the gusher of black crude shot at me and went past the pan but my lighting fast reflexes I got it in place with only a Minor Oil Spill!

As a good eco concerned person, I did not call the EPA or any other government agency I just wiped it up with paper towels and tossed them in the trash!

Oil is made by Mother Nature just like Gasoline and if you notice on the road sides the weeds and grass grow so good and GREEN with the oil, gas diesel run off, what does that tell you, all this crap is a fricking scam! Yes you should not dump it on the ground but if some does spill Mother Nature will take care of it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texn884 View Post
    When I got the drain plug out I did not have the drain pan just quite right so the gusher of black crude shot at me and went past the pan but my lighting fast reflexes I got it in place with only a Minor Oil Spill!
    I have a flexible funnel (it's a piece of flat lead in a cocoon of rubber) and I put that up to keep the oil going IN the pan. The first time I changed the oil in my GT (2008) it was a mess!

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
    I have a flexible funnel (it's a piece of flat lead in a cocoon of rubber) and I put that up to keep the oil going IN the pan. The first time I changed the oil in my GT (2008) it was a mess!
    Sounds like it was so me lol but we make adjustments and Modifications to the oil change equipment and make it better n faster!

The sense of accomplishment.

Post Thanks / Like

Seemed like a few of us had that first experience with the oil on our G8s running out so fast splattering. ..I still remember the taste ..LOL!! Made that mistake once ...only once.