Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xylene?? Fuel additive?

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Xylene?? Fuel additive?

so my installers mention if I were to do a track day with my supercharged G8 then they told me I were to run it hard that I should add Xylene into the tank if I can't get race gas.
    However if race gas is available then what octane should i get?
    Gone...Goodbye..It been fun and expensive!!

Post Thanks / Like

Get the highest unleaded they offer.
    Sunoco makes 100 and 104
    VP makes an unleaded 109 also.

-Greg
    888-748-4655
    All Prices in posts are subject to change at anytime.
    Check us out at www.PacePerformance.com

2009.5 Liquid Red G8 GT
    2009 MSM Supercharged G8 GXP M6 - 11.51 @ 126.09
    586rwhp/495tq

Post Thanks / Like

Now, the question is....How will the 104 octane effect those of us that are tuned for 93 and not supercharged (yet )? Any gain, or don't bother?
    FORMER OWNER 2008 Pontiac G8 GT
    IOM, 20% Tint, 19" Zinik Z27 Sofins, American Racing Header 1 7/8System, Powerbond Underdrive Pulley, 160 Deg. Thermostat,Ported Throttle Body, VARARAM OTR Intake, Livernois Motorsports Tune and Ported Intake. Mobile 1 M1113 Oil Filter, Royal Purple 5W-30, New Era Performance Non DOD 228/240 Cam, Pypes Violators, BMR Trailing Arms and Toe Rods, GXP Front Bumper and Rear Diffuser, Yank 3200 Eibach Pro Series Springs, SJM Line Lock 426 HP and 390 Torque. 1/4 Mile 12.0910 @ 116.53 MPH Coming Someday: Magnacharger.
    LIVERNOIS
    New Era Performance
    http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r...gger_name2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

If I'm not mistaken the higher octane fuels burn different and if your engine is not timed for it it might slow it down. I'm going by memory from running my turbo buick so maybe naturally asperated might not apply here.

Jeff
    2008 GT Black Panther Metallic
    Debadged with V emblem on rear deck
    5% tint
    Vararam untuned
    13.515@104.61
    2.028 60'
    589 DA
    98.29% RD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MANOFSTEEL69 View Post
    Now, the question is....How will the 104 octane effect those of us that are tuned for 93 and not supercharged (yet )? Any gain, or don't bother?
    It will eat a larger hole in you wallet faster. $8+ a gallon around here. I almost got some until I saw the price.
    Retiring as the undefeated Cam only Record Holder 11.454@120

Come and get the title bitches it's up for grabs

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

i used to run xylene in my truck back when i had a whipple. it was a non intercooled set up. 6psi was the most i could go without the xylene. with it at 30% i had it up to 9psi and there was no knock at that point. after about 50 gallons of the stuff it did kill my 02's and i did not have cats so i dont know what it might have done to those.

i would try and stick with the unleaded race gas. better yet is dump your cats and run leaded fuel. cheaper and better.

any fuel change has the potential to change your tune. some fuel is more dense than pump gas and you will go a little rich. some is oxygenated and you could go way lean. best to keep an eye on your wideband/knock sensors after a fuel change to see if you need to adjust the tune.

Function over Fashion bigwillys58's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MANOFSTEEL69 View Post
    if your tuned to 93 its kind of a dont bother situation unless you got crazy high compression or FI. the higher octane "resists heat" so to speak and allows you to run more compression with out pre detonation or "spark knock" as its most commonly referred to. we ran vp C14 (i believe it was right around 110) in our prostock ski doo due to the 14.8:1 compression. im far from an expert at this stuff... just goin off how it was explained to me
    08 Panther Black Metallic with red/onyx leather. 419hp 379tq on Livernois' Dynojet... all motor and a big converter
    1/8 mile (1/4 hopefully soon) 7.699 @ 91.03 mph with 1.724 60ft on 17" hoosier DRs
    1/4 mile best 12.157 @ 110.87 mph with 1.859 60ft on bias ply mickeys

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by parish8 View Post
    i used to run xylene in my truck back when i had a whipple. it was a non intercooled set up. 6psi was the most i could go without the xylene. with it at 30% i had it up to 9psi and there was no knock at that point. after about 50 gallons of the stuff it did kill my 02's and i did not have cats so i dont know what it might have done to those.

i would try and stick with the unleaded race gas. better yet is dump your cats and run leaded fuel. cheaper and better.

any fuel change has the potential to change your tune. some fuel is more dense than pump gas and you will go a little rich. some is oxygenated and you could go way lean. best to keep an eye on your wideband/knock sensors after a fuel change to see if you need to adjust the tune.
    arent you the guy with the turboed newer chevy truck that hauls ass? if so that is a sick truck man!!
    08 Panther Black Metallic with red/onyx leather. 419hp 379tq on Livernois' Dynojet... all motor and a big converter
    1/8 mile (1/4 hopefully soon) 7.699 @ 91.03 mph with 1.724 60ft on 17" hoosier DRs

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigwillys58 View Post
    if your tuned to 93 its kind of a dont bother situation unless you got crazy high compression or FI. the higher octane "resists heat" so to speak and allows you to run more compression with out pre detonation or "spark knock" as its most commonly referred to. we ran vp C14 (i believe it was right around 110) in our prostock ski doo due to the 14.8:1 compression. im far from an expert at this stuff... just goin off how it was explained to me
    is all that ish with a supercharged engine producing 500hp at the wheel??
    Gone...Goodbye..It been fun and expensive!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigwillys58 View Post
    if your tuned to 93 its kind of a dont bother situation unless you got crazy high compression or FI...
    Quote Originally Posted by zosoboogie View Post
    is all that ish with a supercharged engine producing 500hp at the wheel??
    FI equals forced induction. your supercharged so you will benifit