Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: got vim, got backup camera, need...

Post Thanks / Like

Default got vim, got backup camera, need...

help installing.

so, i was planning on installing the VIM i ordered from JHP which seems like it should be fairly easy. the backup camera doesn't look like it's going to be that hard as long as i know where to wire it's power from. problem is i don't. now, i haven't opened up the panels to expose the side of the radio yet or done any other sort of prepping. i just want to know for sure where everything will go and plug into before i actually start.

here's the license plate frame camera:

here's the 23' extension cable the camera plugs into:

and finally the adapter cable where i'd have to wire in the power which has to be near the radio because the way this camera cables are setup:

ok.. so, obviously i'm not gonna want a constant 12v feed to the camera as i'm only going to want it powered on while in reverse. where will i find the reverse power signal near the radio where i'll be hooking it up? if there's not one near the radio what's my next best option(in the trunk, maybe? if i must?). how has anyone else wired theirs?
    2009 MGM GT + Prem + Sunroof
    +Magnaflow Catback (Street Series)
    +VaraRam "Ram Air V" Intake

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by g8torade View Post
    help installing.

so, i was planning on installing the VIM i ordered from JHP which seems like it should be fairly easy. the backup camera doesn't look like it's going to be that hard as long as i know where to wire it's power from. problem is i don't. now, i haven't opened up the panels to expose the side of the radio yet or done any other sort of prepping. i just want to know for sure where everything will go and plug into before i actually start.

here's the license plate frame camera:

here's the 23' extension cable the camera plugs into:

and finally the adapter cable where i'd have to wire in the power which has to be near the radio because the way this camera cables are setup:

ok.. so, obviously i'm not gonna want a constant 12v feed to the camera as i'm only going to want it powered on while in reverse. where will i find the reverse power signal near the radio where i'll be hooking it up? if there's not one near the radio what's my next best option(in the trunk, maybe? if i must?). how has anyone else wired theirs?
    there are people who have done this so lets you to the top and get you some help! You'll get a responce soon don't be discouraged.
    2009.25 Pontiac G8 GT, Switchblade Silver Metallic, Premium and Sport packages
    Atari Gauge Mod, Hard Wired Nav w/ ProClip, AFE CAI, Superchips Tune 2.0, Clearmask Complete Kit. PIAA Bright White Bulbs All Around. Putco Fog Lamp Bulbs, Royal Purple Synthetic, Debaged, 6.0 Litres, SS, and V Badges.
    From page 8-7 in the G8 Owners Manual - "If more power is needed for passing, and the vehicle is going about 35MPH or more, push the accelerator all the way down"

Post Thanks / Like

I know there is a plug in the trunk on the same side as the battery that is for the "rear object sensor package". According to what I read power is supplied to this connector when the car is put in reverse. (I don't know witch pins you will need a meter to check)

You could use this and the camera would power on when you put it in reverse. (according to what I read)

Attached Images Attached Images
    08 G8 GT: MagnaCharger TVS MP1900 10psi, LS9 cam, 72# injectors, Roto-Fab CAI, SLP Headers, Corsa Catback, etc.
    My Garage

Post Thanks / Like

That is the way I did mine. Camera power comes from the back up sensor plug. I don't have pics but if you need one I can dig into it this weekend.
    RIP Charlie, The GRRRR8 One

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (one of 38 as optioned), MSM, M6, Sunroof, Onyx/Red (sold)
    2009 G8 GXP, #807 of 1829, MSM, A6, sunroof
    2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, spare, #555 of 2221.

You can push the envelope, but it's still stationery

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I powered mine from the wire going to the backup lights.
    2009 G8 GT::Panther Black

Post Thanks / Like

thanks everyone for your help. installed it last night and it works perfectly. easy install - well, it became easy when i figured out how to take out the glovebox. i found out that the diagram of the connector behind the glovebox tells you exactly where to find the reverse signal right on that connector.
    see(pin 3), http://www.jhp.com.au/g8partsdirect/...ckupswitch.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

So where did you get the camera/frame? Looks good. Is it a 180° field of view?

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (one of 38 as optioned), MSM, M6, Sunroof, Onyx/Red (sold)

Post Thanks / Like

the camera has a 150degree view but here's some more info on the camera and others:
    http://www.boyovta.com/products/lice...ra/vtl351.html

i bought mine from amazon though.

Post Thanks / Like

Kinda pricey, but I like it! Even have a red frame that Charlie would like!

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]

Post Thanks / Like

any update?
    2009 G8 GT, SRM, Sport and Premium Packages