Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: pennzoil ULTRA PLATINUM 5W-30 OIL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
    so side note - this morning gertrude starting making lifter noise. loud lifter noise.

Or I think that's what it is.

sad am I.

149K on the clock
    Booooooooo. Cam swap time.
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Post Thanks / Like

Mine always ticked if I was low on oil(rare) or the oil was on the dirty side. I would quickly replace oil and filter and it would go away. In your case I would buy 2 jugs on sale good oil, change oil and filter and see if it went away. This way you don't waste good synthetic oil when you tear into the engine to fix if you have to. Good luck, it may go away. ....
    SOLD 5/16 BOUGHT 2013 PP SHO...2009 GT 0-60 4.1,RWHP 381@4765,TQ 416.11@3828= 12.58@109.78 KOOKs 1 7/8 /race CATS, VARARAM & HSRK RESONATOR DELETE/3 INCH X PIPE to MAGNAFLOW SS F:Michilin pilot A/S3, R: Cooper Zeon RS3, VCM Ecm/TCM tune by Troy, Russell SS brake lines, hawk hps/ DBA 4000XS, NGK TR-5, YellaTerra 1.85Rockers PAC 1218, CC 7.450 Pro Magnum Rods, FULL BMR poly Rear/DIFF White BUSHINGS,BMR trailing arms/toe rods.FE3 shock/struts, Billet Catch Can, LOVELL's strut mounts/BMR bushing,UDP Ported&PolishTB,red Alto,CircleD 3000

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I had 3 people recommend lucus oil stuff to smooth it out and clean it out. I said smurf it yesterday and bought a bottle. It was about a quart low - which is about normal for what I get out of the catch can over the course of _____ miles. I'd already done my swap the filter thing back in january - OLM says 38% and I was about to swap out the mess anyway. it's about that 8-9 month time.

so meh.

Check my spark plugs to make sure they were tight - because when I listen to other people's noises this is louder and oddly sounds just like a loose spark plug in the cabin - but outside it's louder and sounds like head noise. eliminate a simple thing right. Also check engine light pops on and off occasionally.

I don't know - I either put money in her to rebuild it - thinking cam, new heads with whatever, might as well pop the pistons out and re-ring them right - new chain the like.

DOD delete too.

BUT - I also think I want a transit wagon (the ford thing -yes I know). Or an SS, or an F150 ecoboost, or __________. hell I even looked at a CPO tesla.

I need to replace the clockspring on the car - yep airbags light. and it needs a few widow seals - Even though I treat them 2 are dryied out now.

trans has lots of miles though it - as does the diff. It's a mess and I'm a nervous wreck.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like

Run a scan on the memory for the codes for the on n off again SES light.
    SOLD 5/16 BOUGHT 2013 PP SHO...2009 GT 0-60 4.1,RWHP 381@4765,TQ 416.11@3828= 12.58@109.78 KOOKs 1 7/8 /race CATS, VARARAM & HSRK RESONATOR DELETE/3 INCH X PIPE to MAGNAFLOW SS F:Michilin pilot A/S3, R: Cooper Zeon RS3, VCM Ecm/TCM tune by Troy, Russell SS brake lines, hawk hps/ DBA 4000XS, NGK TR-5, YellaTerra 1.85Rockers PAC 1218, CC 7.450 Pro Magnum Rods, FULL BMR poly Rear/DIFF White BUSHINGS,BMR trailing arms/toe rods.FE3 shock/struts, Billet Catch Can, LOVELL's strut mounts/BMR bushing,UDP Ported&PolishTB,red Alto,CircleD 3000

5. Thanks Napalm thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you - trying to but I don't have a scanner right now. waiting to borrow an innova setup right now.

I don't know what codes I want to see. I mean would a lifter issue cause a misfire - I'd think so.

Post Thanks / Like

Man that sucks for sure my first engine lasted 98,200 miles under warranty, GM can fuck up a wet dream on anything, bastards
    2009 Panther Black Metallic "The Black Rat"
    Current Modifications: Front end, Roof Pillars & Front top of roof has Clear Shield, Holden V8 6.0 Badges, Holden V Trunk Badge from Crazy Paul, UPR Catch Can, Corsa Exhaust & Roto Fab CAI. Spare Tire and Jack and Tinted Window's, hood scoops gutted, Poor Mans Heater Hose modification (holding up the hoses with zip ties), Painted the front dart to Panther Black.

Patrick Guerra's Tune July 12, 2010: 345 HP, 355 Torque on 87 Octane
    Patrick's & Kurt's install of Kooks Long tubes 1 7/8" w/Corsa Connection Pipes
    11-3-10: 362 rwhp, 372 Torque and updated engine and transmission tune.

New Engine as of 10- 5, 2011. Patrick & Kurt's tune and dyno 10-19 2011:363 rwhp, 365 Torque 93 octane.
    Sounds so GRRRR8 BECAUSE RACE CAR

7-1-14 Brembo Front Brake upgrade & Bohnam Front Splitter installed Curt here

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to make a new thread as I will need some help picking and deciding. Thanks guys.

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff92se View Post
    The G8GT because of it's 9qt oil pan is already a 10,000 mile oil change interval capable car.
    Respectfully,

a) "any oil" can go to 10,000 mile interval. The core question is the level of protection you want for your engine at that interval.
    c) a 9 quart sump is not a significant determinant of the level of protection you want for your engine.
    d) The level of protection comes from the quality of the base oil and the additive packs therein. (dispersents, detergents, antioxidants, friction modifiers, anti shearing, etc.)
    e) At some point all additive packs will diminish (via volatility, oxidation, mechanical shearing, combustion contaminants, etc.) .... that's when you see gunk, soot, and all that stuff!)
    f) You are correct that you can take our 9 quart cars to a 10,000 oil change interval - but we would do so at a cost/benefit compromise. (i.e., the reduced cost of oil changes vs. the high cost of a reduced mileage engine and subsequent R&R. The dealer replacement cost of an L76 (with labor) is $9,000. Not suggesting that 10k oil intervals lead to engine replacment (cause & effect) ..... only that we have a lot of cash invested in our cars and thus the need protect drive trains with quality lubricants.
    2009 G8 GT
    628.5 RWHP on gasoline​ ---> ARH Long Tubes 1 7/8" & full exhaust / Magnaflow Mid Muffler / Cherry Bomb Vortex Mufflers / Magnuson 1.9 / Overdrive "non-cog" pulley system / Ported blower base / 2.70" Pulley / LS3 rockers with Trunion upgrade / Trick Flow x255 cylinder heads / 8-Rib Pulley system / Innovator West 10% Balancer / DOD Delete / Lunati Lifters / Custom CTS-V Patrick G Cam Grind / Wiseco Forged Rods & Pistons / Injector Dynamics 85lbs / 4.25" Air Intake Tube / 102mm TB & MAF Tube / 102mm TPIS Throttle Body / LS7 MAF Card / ZL1 Fuel Pump / JMS Fuel Pump Booster / VaporWorx Controller / B&M Tranny Cooler with fan / Circle-D Heavy Duty Rebuild & 265mm triple Disc Billet Converter / Camaro Tranny Pan/ Eibach Lowering Springs / BMR Front & Rear Sway Bars, LCA's, Control Arms / DBA 4000xs Rotors / Hawks Ceramic Pads

Post Thanks / Like

Bringing this one back up for an unscientific comment. I recently bought my 09 G8 GT with 49k miles on it. When I went to look at the car, I was floored by how quiet and smooth the engine was idling. I could barely hear it running when walking around the vehicle. The previous owner religiously used Penzoil Ultra Platinum. For the past 10 years, I had a GTO and used Mobil 1. That engine always had a slight sewing machine/ticking sound, even when new. Obviously I am comparing two separate engines here, but I am currently very sold on the Penzoil and plan on using it going forward with the G8.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzzard302 View Post
    Bringing this one back up for an unscientific comment. I recently bought my 09 G8 GT with 49k miles on it. When I went to look at the car, I was floored by how quiet and smooth the engine was idling. I could barely hear it running when walking around the vehicle. The previous owner religiously used Penzoil Ultra Platinum. For the past 10 years, I had a GTO and used Mobil 1. That engine always had a slight sewing machine/ticking sound, even when new. Obviously I am comparing two separate engines here, but I am currently very sold on the Penzoil and plan on using it going forward with the G8.
    Remove the foam rubber piece and faux cover from the intake plenum and it'll make a bit more noise. My stock GT ticked. Mostly injector noise though.

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!