Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: P0449 and P0455

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Default P0449 and P0455

I had P0449 pop up after filling the gas tank the other day. P0455 was pending. I tried reseating the gas cap to no avail. Hoping that I didn't have to drop the fuel tank and replace an evap canister or something like that, I ordered the newest iteration of the gas cap from Amazon, $20 or so. I kept clearing it over the next couple days, P0449 was always active with P0455 pending. Got the new cap on yesterday. After 4 or so drives the CEL has not come back on, so I think I finally fell victim to the wonky stock gas cap after nearly 70k miles.
    09 G8 GT SRM Premium Sport Sunroof

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:
    Bremmerkraft BR09 winter wheels, Weathertech floor liners, oil pan heater

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com

2. Likes -Ray- liked this post
    Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, fuck and a half. I spoke too soon. Codes came back today. In fact, I can clear them, key on/engine off, and they come back several seconds later. The engine isn't even running. Now what? I swear this car is the worst. I haven't had a whole lot of cars, but this one needs a relatively lot of damn hand holding. There's always something to fix. I finally think I have my water leaks fixed, and whammo, check engine light.

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:

Post Thanks / Like

I have them too. For so long I forgot them. Clearing "check engine" prompt happens subconsciously now, without thinking. Come on, admit it. You know you want to drop that tank, don't you?

Gonna' make it a positive and use it to motivate me to install that fuel pump I may need one day.
    Last edited by TonyKarter; 06-16-2016 at 05:45 PM.
    2009 MGM GT: VCM CAI, ARH LT headers (no cats), Vector Tune, MT drag radials
    Procharger P1SC still powering the box it came in January 2010, hiding somewhere in the back of my man cave.
    PB: 12.533 @ 111.45 w/ 1.951 60' CLAIMING THE INTAKE/LT/TUNE/DR RECORD UNLESS SOMEBODY GOT GAME
    And nobody ever had game.

"There are but three true sports...mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. The rest are merely games." Ernest Hemmingway

"Racing is life. Everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen in the movie LeMans

Only two things smell like fish...and one of them is fish. unknown

Assigned male at birth, I now identify as a lesbian, but with extra equipment.

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

This no remote start because of the CEL is ticking me off.

Winter-wear:

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

What should I need to replace the purge valve? Are there any bolts that are likely to break? Any install tips? I might have a chance to replace it next weekend.

Winter-wear:

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Saw multiple posts where the valve (and canister?) were able to be changed from the wheel well. Not easy but sounds better than messing with the rear cradle and gas tank.

For those not familiar, a dealer charged me $850 to do this job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J Wikoff View Post
    What should I need to replace the purge valve? Are there any bolts that are likely to break? Any install tips? I might have a chance to replace it next weekend.
    The purge valve or the vent valve? The purge valve is easy, it's under the hood clipped to the cylinder head. The vent valve, which is what throws P0449, is the hard one that's back under the car. This thread has a couple of tips: http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=18849 When I did mine, I dropped out the right rear exhaust section (I have a Corsa so this wasn't that difficult) and was able to reach in from above the differential. Doing it this way I was able to do it without lowering the cradle at all. The whole thing was a major pain in the ass and very frustrating, but if you have some patience it is possible.
    Len

White Hot 2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT
    TVS1900 | Custom Texas Speed & Performance cam spec'd and remote tuned by Patrick Guerra | LS9 Injectors | Rotofab CAI | Corsa catback | Kooks 1-7/8" LTs with catted connectors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J Wikoff View Post
    The cradle bolts are a PITA if you choose to lower it. I removed the drivers side and loosened the passenger side. They are loc-tited in. Go slow or whatever method you choose. The valve itself is clipped into the pan under the trunk. You will have to work it to get it out. Mine failed shortly after I overfilled the fuel tank due to a bad fuel nozzle failed to auto shut off. The P0449 code is a bad valve, not bad pressure, so it needs to be replaced. Don't worry so much about getting it out - break it if you have to. You just need enough of it to ensure you get the right replacement. And do not worry about the canister. It will dry out and be just fine. Take a look at the thread referenced below.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by LDM View Post
    The purge valve or the vent valve? The purge valve is easy, it's under the hood clipped to the cylinder head. The vent valve, which is what throws P0449, is the hard one that's back under the car. This thread has a couple of tips: http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=18849 When I did mine, I dropped out the right rear exhaust section (I have a Corsa so this wasn't that difficult) and was able to reach in from above the differential. Doing it this way I was able to do it without lowering the cradle at all. The whole thing was a major pain in the ass and very frustrating, but if you have some patience it is possible.
    Yes for us larger guys that screw can be a pain!

08 G8 GT, IOM, Rotofab, HSRK, Kooks LTs, track pipes, Custom engine covers, catch can, radiator cover, and tranny tunnel brace. 402hp/396tq - not bad for a bolt -on car.
    8.43 1/8th; 2.01 60' - no skillz.

10. Thanks -Ray- thanked for this post
    Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I meant the one by the gas tank. Thanks guys!

Winter-wear:

Post Thanks / Like

uhm before getting too far down the road.

did you check your gas cap and have you considered replacing it. I had purge codes along with something else. And for 8 dollar I tried it in an effort to save major pain.

new Stant Gas Cap (I could get it easier than an Gm part) and bickety Bam - no more lights. and that was 2 years ago.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes