Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What should I do for better times?

Post Thanks / Like

So a mildly-modded G8 with DRs is not capable of attaining 4th gear in a burn-out after water? Tires going to dry prematurely and hook in third? Its been so long since I have gone to the track I can't remember.

Tell me if I am wrong here, but I'm thinking that the heat soak of leaving the car on in the staging lanes will result in timing being pulled, hence poorer performance which cancels out the benefit of the quicker 3-4 shift, yielding no gain?
    2009 MGM GT: VCM CAI, ARH LT headers (no cats), Vector Tune, MT drag radials
    Procharger P1SC still powering the box it came in January 2010, hiding somewhere in the back of my man cave.
    PB: 12.533 @ 111.45 w/ 1.951 60' CLAIMING THE INTAKE/LT/TUNE/DR RECORD UNLESS SOMEBODY GOT GAME
    And nobody ever had game.

"There are but three true sports...mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. The rest are merely games." Ernest Hemmingway

"Racing is life. Everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen in the movie LeMans

Only two things smell like fish...and one of them is fish. unknown

Assigned male at birth, I now identify as a lesbian, but with extra equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

So a mildly-modded G8 with DRs is not capable of attaining 4th gear in a burn-out after water? Tires going to dry prematurely and hook in third? Its been so long since I have gone to the track I can't remember.

Tell me if I am wrong here, but I'm thinking that the heat soak of leaving the car on in the staging lanes will result in timing being pulled, hence poorer performance which cancels out the benefit of the quicker 3-4 shift, yielding no gain?

And now I know what causes a double post...
    Procharger P1SC still powering the box it came in January 2010, hiding somewhere in the back of my man cave.
    PB: 12.533 @ 111.45 w/ 1.951 60' CLAIMING THE INTAKE/LT/TUNE/DR RECORD UNLESS SOMEBODY GOT GAME

"There are but three true sports...mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. The rest are merely games." Ernest Hemmingway

"Racing is life. Everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen in the movie LeMans

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of my best runs have been off of hot laps, so I am not sure heat soak is a big issue.

Rotohack 102 intake - 102 MAF - TPIS 102 TB - TVS1900 ported & plated w 8 rib 2.5" front + OD rear
    PnP Interchiller - RCR ported heads - RCR Lunati 219/231 113+1 - Forged Bottom End
    ARH 2" LT headers - Solo 3" CB - MT DRs + M&H FRs on Weld RT-S
    CTS-V fuel w Vaporworx - FAST 85s - Alkycontrol meth M15 + M10 - RCR tune
    9.75@139.2 ? rwhp ? rwtq

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
    A lot of my best runs have been off of hot laps, so I am not sure heat soak is a big issue.
    After being modded my hot laps were better. I think it has to do with warming up the drive train.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
    After being modded my hot laps were better. I think it has to do with warming up the drive train.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. Maybe the custom tunes deal with the part of the stock tune that pulls the timing. That would be logical, especially in sport or manual mode. Must talk to Patrick about this before he retunes mine. I DAMN SURE want to tune that unnecessarily slow 3-4 shift out of the equation.

7. Thanks -Ray- thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TonyKarter View Post
    Interesting. Maybe the custom tunes deal with the part of the stock tune that pulls the timing. That would be logical, especially in sport or manual mode. Must talk to Patrick about this before he retunes mine. I DAMN SURE want to tune that unnecessarily slow 3-4 shift out of the equation.
    Pretty sure you cannot tune this out, but if you find a way please let me know. The only way I've found to resolve is the car needs to see 1-2-3-4 or else it will hang the 3-4 after you start the car. I have been able to drive down the staging lanes to do this lately otherwise I chock it up as the first pass will suck because of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Will let everyone know. Surely Patrick has something he uses to deal with one or the other of these, or both. But getting back to the point of the OP, I wonder just how many tenths the slow 3-4 shift adds to our ETs?
    Last edited by TonyKarter; 07-19-2016 at 04:18 PM.