Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Front Wheel Hub and Bearing Assembly Replacement

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What goes wrong with the cap?
    Guessing its electrical as the wheel spins, the teeth you see set up a pulse in a magnetic field developed in the black cap. The pulse varies with speed so a computer can monitor the speed of the wheel.

Post Thanks / Like

The abs pickup is in the cap. The magnetic wheel is very unlikely to fail unlike the sensor. Unfortunately in this design the sensor is not replaceable but only the entire hub assembly. Most fords has a separate plug sensor that can be replaced in there cars.
    So I was sharing the fix I did on my car. The sensor was going back and forth and loosing it's function so I took an old bering and swapped the caps. Didn't have a problem after.
    I was just suggesting this fix to the ones who may have an old bearing around or they can ask around a community such as this or Facebook for a cheap fix.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Post Thanks / Like

Huh - so the GTO has a similar/same bearing. I replaced 2 of mine chasing a ABS fault. (coded on either sensor - would go away - wired checked clean - replaced - continued - turned out to be chafing wires to the cluster)

anywho - the change out is remarkably easy but yes there was practically no way that back cap was coming off without cracking apart so I assumed as other have and the manual states - it is unserviceable.

interesting - I have 137K on my g8 at the moment and I suspect I'll be replacing bearings for real soon enough.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes