Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY Posi Mod for the Camaro Differential

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tweaker47 View Post
    To be honest, I haven't driven the car much recently. I took it around the neighborhood the other day and didnt really notice it much. When backing it out of the garage and making the turn down the driveway, I did notice it was loading up some. It is kinda jerky but not necessarily skidding the tire. This on the a 275/60/R15 drag radial though... more grib and soft sidewall. I'm sure it would still skid my street tires in gravel or rain. It's definitely too much preload resulting in a high torque bias. Driving it more may help as it wears. If I have it apart or build another one, I will reduce the preload somehow.
    I have Nitto NT05R P285/45/18's on my rear. My car jerks hard in grocery store parking lots and various maneuvers under about 15mph.

I just added a couple more ounces of GM Friction modifier Saturday. I'm hoping it helps. I might leak some of the oil and empty the rest of the bottle in there soon if it doesn't start working on the plates.

I'm becoming confident the mechanic that installed my clutch kit set the preload to the max. its pretty bad.

oh well, I'll chase it with money and make it right.
    MGM '09 G8 GT, RCR tuned, RCR cam (223/231 .625/.622 111+0 ), PRC 250CC heads 65cc chambers, RCR "ram air" intake, & ported TB; Spectre 102mm MAF/LS7 card, HSRK, DT headers, Vararam with RCR type air wedge, Solo Mach CB, 3.45 gears & Yank 3200SS stall

2. Likes -Ray- liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply!
    MGM '09 G8 GT, RCR tuned, RCR cam (223/231 .625/.622 111+0 ), PRC 250CC heads 65cc chambers, RCR "ram air" intake, & ported TB; Spectre 102mm MAF/LS7 card, HSRK, DT headers, Vararam with RCR type air wedge, Solo Mach CB, 3.45 gears & Yank 3200SS stall

4. Likes Phil@PnP Tech liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quick update...

Adding a couple more ounces of the GM friction modifier have improved the jerking on slow turning on concrete/asphalt. I originally just added the whole 3.3floz bottle after the rebuild. Apparently it wasn't enough.

I'd have to drain some fluid to get the rest of the second bottle in the pumpkin. I think I'll just deal with it on the ocassioanal jerkiness.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems on par to my experience so far. I swapped on the street tires this weekend and it was pretty tame until I pulled into the garage on the slick concrete. It was then in full spool mode.
    Phillip M.
    09.5 SBM GT Sports/Premium/Roof

Engine: Stock Bottom End
    Heads: Stock, LS3 Intake, LY6 Exhaust, Milled
    Cam: BTR IV PD
    Intake: Stock Intake, Stock TB, LS7 MAF, Volant CAI
    Exhaust: 1-7/8 Kooks LT's, Off-Road Pipes, Corsa cat-back
    Fuel: Fore Twin Ti 450's, Vaporworx, E85, Bosch Injectors
    Drivetrain: 6L80, Sonnax
    Suspension: BMR 15" Strange Coilovers
    Wheels/Tires: 15x10 RT-S on 275/60R15 Pro's, 17x5 Weld on M/T 28"
    Ported LSA Blower, 9.55/2.55, 102 TB, Chiller

High Compression/Boost/E85

Post Thanks / Like

I wholeheartedly agree. the symptoms are really dictated by the surface you are driving on. In supermarket parking lots with smooth asphalt, its binds/jerks/lurches pretty bad. On a typical two-lane road surface turning, its almost unnoticeable.

I guess thats the price I pay for a beefed up 3.45 pumpkin.

Post Thanks / Like

I found a similar kit through Camaro Central. They have a way to gauge the preload. With the spring and clutches installed in the posi case, the two haves will be held apart by the spring. The size of the gap determines the preload. (From the install instructions) "With feeler gauges or a dial caliper, measure the gap between the two cases. This measurement will set the preload spring tension on the clutch discs when the case halves are bolted back together. This is absolutely critical to the proper function of the spring pack. This measurement should be .125 with a tolerance of plus or minus .0625. If the measurement is not within tolerance, use the selective shims provided in the kit to obtain proper clearance. Add or remove shims as required and repeat steps 6 thru 9 until proper clearance is obtained. When proper clearance has been obtained, the clutch discs will have between 200 lbs. (.0625) and 400 lbs. (.1875) of force with 300 lbs. (.125) being optimal. "
    When I set mine up I will aim closer to the 200 lbs range. For a laugh I will measure what the preload is with just the stock clutches, none added. We may find that just the spring alone is what most will want
    $_57.jpg
    '09 GT SRM Cortex tuner, Solo HFC, VCM Intake,Spohn Trailing Arms & Toe Links