Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Finally! Mod time

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finally! Mod time

After 5 years finally time to start some performance mods.

On tap.. Updated transmission mount (adding wheel weights is not a proper repair), BMR cradle inserts, and a dusty Corsa exhaust.

I'm going to take my time and enjoy the garage time.. Maybe have a couple beers along the way. Probably take me a week working around family duties, can't wait!
    '09 White Hot GT, Premium, Sunroof - SOLD May 2021

Holden leather armrest, rear ashtray/cig lighter, Homelink, Auto dimming rearview mirror, Atari gauges by SAS & GTPprix, glove box light, LCD interior lights, GXP diffuser, 6.0 litre badges, painted calipers, BMR subframe connectors & drive shaft tunnel brace, Polk DB651 & DB6501 component speakers, Factory bluetooth, BMR x-member bushings, Corsa, many dealer installed mods (ie Fixes ). Waiting to install: Nothing.. I need to find the credit card!

2. Thanks STL_G8GT thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They upgraded the mount!? For the noise issue? Damn why didn't I know that!!! Part Number?
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by STL_G8GT View Post
    They upgraded the mount!? For the noise issue? Damn why didn't I know that!!! Part Number?
    yeah ..Some ..only some dealers did this but in my opinion its like putting a band aid on a 4" gash

My dealer wouldn't even do this for mine.
    2009 White Hot G8 GT w/ Onyx/Red Int. Sport/Premium, No Sunroof, Garage Queen

Borla Cat Back, VCM OTR Intake, DBA 4000 Slotted rotors and Hawk Ceramic pads, GXP Diffuser painted White, GXP Fascia, Crystal Clear side markers, Black Scoops, 20% Tint all around. 20" Camaro SS polished staggered, Shark Fin, Infinity 6032si front and Polk db651s rear

R.I.P. Charlie (Mr GRRRR8)
    R.I.P. Chris (Panzer Leader)

"Mongo only pawn in game of life"

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, for the noise issue, I had the TSB completed where the wheel weights were added but I figured while I was doing this work I would replace the mount with the updated part number.

Mount: 92237122
    2 (longer) bolts: 92138719

Holden leather armrest, rear ashtray/cig lighter, Homelink, Auto dimming rearview mirror, Atari gauges by SAS & GTPprix, glove box light, LCD interior lights, GXP diffuser, 6.0 litre badges, painted calipers, BMR subframe connectors & drive shaft tunnel brace, Polk DB651 & DB6501 component speakers, Factory bluetooth, BMR x-member bushings, Corsa, many dealer installed mods (ie Fixes ). Waiting to install: Nothing.. I need to find the credit card!

6. Likes MongosG8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: cradle bushings, how fully seated do they get with the stock ones? I have a maybe 1/8 inch gap yet on the top.. I'm going to take another look but they are fighting me to fully seat into the stock bushings.

Also, those cup washers SUCK, I should have had a puller to remove.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pokey View Post
    Re: cradle bushings, how fully seated do they get with the stock ones? I have a maybe 1/8 inch gap yet on the top.. I'm going to take another look but they are fighting me to fully seat into the stock bushings.
    Try to get them as fully seated as you can. Top and bottom will likely still have some gap no matter what; but you want to make every effort to get them close as, surprisingly enough, the subframe bolt won't exert enough pressure to pull them into place.

When helping another member do their car, I used my floor jack and a 2x4 to seat the bottom half since those have the "fingers" that seat into the stock bushing. The top half mostly rests in place. So get the fingers in as much as you can, then raise it into place.

Really, in summary, so long as the bushing gap disappears when you reattach the subframe, you're golden.
    2009 Liquid Red O/R M6 G8 GXP - Nickname: "The Yak"
    Bought 5/21/2009, Sold 5/2/2015. Will be missed!

Daily Driver: 2013 Ford Focus ST
    Hauler: 2005 Ford Excursion Powerstroke

Post Thanks / Like

Got them installed, thanks for the info.. Most of the gap is gone. At most I have 1/16" on the top of the drivers rear.

My bigger issue putting it back together was my jack started to fail and would not hold the cradle in place for long. WTF.. I guess I'm buying a new jack before I'm done.

10. Thanks Tulsa GT thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Transmission mount and Corsa exhaust installed!

The transmission mount looks to be a much better engineered part compared to the original, glad I replaced it. Only around 30-40 bucks with the new bolts. Was an easy install too with the exhaust off.

Corsa, sounds awesome. Funny though at 10:00 last night when I finished and started it for the first time.. my first thought was "that's kind of loud.." LOL I must be getting old. I didn't use the Summit exhaust clamps I bought.. didn't appear to need them. Though as I think I've heard other people mention the passenger side was a little short but overall not bad and should be fine. I had more concerns and issues with getting the mufflers on decent so they would not hit the heat shields and still look "ok".

Post Thanks / Like

Corsa seems to have gotten slightly louder as it has gotten broken in. I still love the exhaust! Perfect choice for me...I might have 4,000 miles on the exhaust now?

Post Thanks / Like

Also seen a poly one for the Camaro. I would assume they are close enough to try and fit it to the g8.
    Probably more noise tho.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885