Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Out with the 6L80, in with the 6L90!

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I take it you will need a custom cut driveshaft and there isn't currently one on the market that will mate to a 6L90 and G8 rear end...
    2009.5 SBM G8 GT--More mods than I care to talk about...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rocket69GTP View Post
    I take it you will need a custom cut driveshaft and there isn't currently one on the market that will mate to a 6L90 and G8 rear end...
    Need a custom one anyway due to the length of the 6L90E vs. 6L80E, but the 6L90E is in the ZL1, and the Camaro and G8 diffs are direct swaps so...
    2015 White Hot Chevy SS - Sunroof/Spare/Stick - BTR Stage 3 cam, headers, intake *Traded 11/11/2023*
    2018 GMC Sierra Denali 1500 - 6.2L, Ultimate Pack *Turned in 4/13/2021*
    2016 Jungle Green Metallic Chevy SS - Sunroof/Spare/Stick *Traded 2/1/18*
    2011 Radiant Silver Metallic CTS-V Wagon - Corsa Axleback, AirAid Intake *Traded 7/7/16*
    2008 Panther Black Metallic G8 GT * Sold 6/10/14*

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greg@PacePerformance View Post
    If he loads the 80 program he might loose some of the features in the 90 program.
    I might try using the 90 as is and hope you get lucky, but I doubt it will work since the vin will be incorrect at the very least.
    Hello Greg! Well I'm not sure what will happen till I get it installed. I didn't ask but I am hoping that the TCM with the trans is blank. If not it's a cake walk to change it to a 90E program.

Quote Originally Posted by NicD View Post
    The 90 OS more than likely will not play with the G8 ECM OS. Even in other setups it rarely works without being pissed off in some way and further more most 90 operating systems have quite a bit of a different setup as far as shift modes, etc go when compared to the G8 original.
    You wouldn't happen to have access to do the changeover on the VIN would you?
    Robbie- Owner/Operator RHX Tuning Fundamentals.

Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. AiR Research 98mm turbo, Nitrous, LME 427LSX, 1307AWHP street demon. (Still chasing the 1500 mark)

PBM G8- Slow Australian four door, twin turbo build/6L90E trans swap under way.

PB 2011 CTS-V Coupe- Sleepy Caddy, 632WHP motor/906 spray.

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

Post Thanks / Like

So check this shit out! It just got here:

IMAG0230.jpg

I never realized the shear size of these transmissions. Here it is next to a fully built Ace Racing 4L80E and built transfer case for the "Street Truck" which is a massive setup:

IMAG0231.jpg

IMAG0233.jpg
    Last edited by IDRIVEAG8GT; 12-04-2013 at 03:23 PM.

Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. AiR Research 98mm turbo, Nitrous, LME 427LSX, 1307AWHP street demon. (Still chasing the 1500 mark)

Post Thanks / Like

For the tune, my gut is saying you will have an issue running the 6L90 tehcm in your car...... I dont think you will be able to make it talk and work properly without a ton a very creative work on that end of things... I dont think a tech2, hp tuners, or anything will make it easy..... however, one thing that would work would be to swap your 6L80 tehcm and put it in the 6L90.... you should be then be able to program it with EFIlive or Hp tuners to change things accordingly...

I could be very wrong... but my gut is telling me this is the case from various meetings we had years ago with product eng and the controls people... but if you find someone that can find a good way to overwrite or trick it, then you should be all good.... if not, last case scenerio if you need help I can try to figure out a way to compare all the Valbe body differences.... valves, springs, etc... and be able to make it work easy for you,..... I am not a software guy for sure, so I know nothing about this except for the hallway talk... but component specifics and the differences between 6L80 and 6L90 I can figure out rather quickly if you need it... good luck and let us know it goes on the software side of things and if you need any info to help make this work on the mechanical part of things, let me know..
    2009 G8 GT; F1x procharger on Supercharger store direct drive system; 430cuin LSX; E85; 9" rear; DSS once pc driveshaft; 4L80
    9.2@151.... fastest and heaviest G8 known to man.... ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IDRIVEAG8GT View Post
    You wouldn't happen to have access to do the changeover on the VIN would you?
    Well that's not the problem anyways as some TCMs don't have VINs in them anyways... the 90 OS is usually not compatible with the different ECM OS that we have, at least I haven't found one yet that works without it complaining about it. Heck it's not even compatible with the 2010 Camaro ECM operating systems that I've found and those are newer yet. Regardless, the 80 OS works just fine with a full flash onto the new 90 TCM (it's the same computer as the 80 anyways) with HPT although I would copy the 90 oncoming/offgoing pressures and volume tables and shift pressure tables for starters and keep the G8 shift timing structures as is and modify to suit your setup. This has worked on countless other cars and swaps that I've done.

19 ZR1 | 16 Viper GT | 09 Z06 | 94 LS1 GT | 16 Denali | 19 CTS

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck with your project.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G8 Ray View Post
    Good luck with your project.
    Thanks man

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IDRIVEAG8GT View Post
    Interesting thread.... but not being a negative guy... ... I think it will be a bit more interesting to do than a Camaro ZL1 trans into a Camaro SS... due to the similarity of the rest of the car, the ECM, etc...

if you try to take a ZL1 info and use it in the G8 that may not work out so well..... whereas no sweat in a normal camaro ss....

good luck....
    2009 G8 GT; F1x procharger on Supercharger store direct drive system; 430cuin LSX; E85; 9" rear; DSS once pc driveshaft; 4L80
    9.2@151.... fastest and heaviest G8 known to man.... ...