Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stock Subs Wired Incorrectly from Factory!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stock Subs Wired Incorrectly from Factory!

I have a ’09 G8 GT and I have been disappointed with the stereo since I bought the car. I have always thought that any stereo with two 8’s in the rear deck that there should be more. After playing with all the radio settings and playing different types of music, I could not seem the get that punch that ought to be there (well as much as can be expected for a stock system). It always sounds “off”. I was about to go ahead and pull out the stock stuff like a lot of people have, but I was having one last overview of the system before I spent money on it, but it dawned on me that the “off” sound was like the system was out of phase.

Well I am happy to report that I have solved the crappy stock stereo mystery (at least on my vehicle). The two subs in the rear deck are out of phase with the speakers driven by the head unit. After doing a quick swap of the wire position on each sub, WOW the system absolutely cranks compared to before.

On my car I switched the position of the yellow and green wire on each sub so now the yellow wires are closest to the rear seat and the green wires are closer to the tail lights.

Man - give it a try before upgrading, you might be surprised and save some money……

Post Thanks / Like

Youve got to be kidding. Awesome find.
    09 G8 GXP Panther Black is UNDER THE KNIFE!

Post Thanks / Like

How did you do it. Unsauder it?
    09 VE SS-V
    Performance:
    404ci Lunati Crank and Rods, Wiseco Pistons,TSP 235/239,Dallas performance LSA Heads, Yank 3600SS Stall Built Trans

Appearance: SS-V conversion/ Brembo's/ XXR 522's/tein springs/ HSV gauges

Old Numbers 378hp/365tq
    New numbers 5xxrwhp\5xxrwtq

Post Thanks / Like

yep. Grab a soldering gun, unsolder swap to opposite terminals and re-solder. Little difficult to get yourself into possition. Dont let the hot stuff hit you in that face But ohh so worth it!

Post Thanks / Like

I'll just cut them and do quick disconnect connectors.
    09 VE SS-V
    Performance:
    404ci Lunati Crank and Rods, Wiseco Pistons,TSP 235/239,Dallas performance LSA Heads, Yank 3600SS Stall Built Trans

Appearance: SS-V conversion/ Brembo's/ XXR 522's/tein springs/ HSV gauges

Old Numbers 378hp/365tq
    New numbers 5xxrwhp\5xxrwtq

Post Thanks / Like

Nice find! I'll have to try this.
    2009 Liquid Red O/R M6 G8 GXP - Nickname: "The Yak"
    Bought 5/21/2009, Sold 5/2/2015. Will be missed!

Daily Driver: 2013 Ford Focus ST
    Hauler: 2005 Ford Excursion Powerstroke

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not surprised. I think it might be poor placement in relation to the other speakers. Spent many hours fine tuning my system and found that the rear deck sounded best when out of phase and with extra "distance" placed in with time alignment, even when my rear deck speakers are only playing very narrow midbass frequencies.

2012 G8 GONE Bracket Champ!

2008 Liquid Red G8 GT-VMS stage 1.5 cam & Pat G tune, Kooks 1 3/4" LTs w/cats to Corsa catback, VCM intake. 427RWHP, 401RWTQ
    Eibach springs, FE3, BMR Sways, links & toe rods
    Audison Bit-One, JL Audio-500/5, 500/1, ZR800, 10w3v3(x2), Boston Z6, JHP Triple gauges
    TSW Indy 500 staggered w/Nitto Invo (285 rear), GXP diffuser, Roto-Fab engine covers

Post Thanks / Like

Right, so it's not an incorrect connection. The overall system just wasn't really tuned for the driver's hearing. This explains why I can leeeean my head further back on some techno songs and, hey, the bass is back in phase!
    2009 Liquid Red O/R M6 G8 GXP - Nickname: "The Yak"
    Bought 5/21/2009, Sold 5/2/2015. Will be missed!

Daily Driver: 2013 Ford Focus ST
    Hauler: 2005 Ford Excursion Powerstroke

Post Thanks / Like

Does this really work?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    Right, so it's not an incorrect connection. The overall system just wasn't really tuned for the driver's hearing. This explains why I can leeeean my head further back on some techno songs and, hey, the bass is back in phase!
    yep, zactly

2012 G8 GONE Bracket Champ!

2008 Liquid Red G8 GT-VMS stage 1.5 cam & Pat G tune, Kooks 1 3/4" LTs w/cats to Corsa catback, VCM intake. 427RWHP, 401RWTQ
    Eibach springs, FE3, BMR Sways, links & toe rods
    Audison Bit-One, JL Audio-500/5, 500/1, ZR800, 10w3v3(x2), Boston Z6, JHP Triple gauges
    TSW Indy 500 staggered w/Nitto Invo (285 rear), GXP diffuser, Roto-Fab engine covers