Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Front end suspension noise...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Front end suspension noise...

Amongst some other small complaints to my dealer today was that after this long, hard winter I had noticed that something seemed a little loose in the front end. I wasn't sure if it was just my imagination and fully expected to have to pay out of my pocket fix whatever the problem was.

Ends up that any front end complaint that can be traced back to the control arms kicks in technical bulletin #09-03-08-008A (detailed below). The coles-notes version is that they replace the lower control arms and caster arms under warranty. While this might be old news to some it surprised me - especially as the job would have cost over $1000!!!

TECHNICAL

Bulletin No.: 09-03-08-008A

Date: May 26, 2010

Subject: Knock, Clunk or Click Noise from Front Suspension Over Small Bumps (Replace Front Lower Control and Caster Arms)

Models:
    2008-2009 Pontiac G8

Attention:
    This bulletin is intended to correct a condition for front end knock, clunk or clicking. Vehicles previously repaired as part of Customer Satisfaction Program 09203A are to follow a different repair procedure as outlined under the Correction section below.

Supercede:
    This bulletin is being revised to update the Parts Information. A front lower control arm kit is now available that services all four lower control arms as outlined in this Service Bulletin. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 09-03-08-008 (Section 03 - Suspension).

Condition

Some customers may comment on a clunk, knock or click noise from the front suspension over small bumps.

Cause

The rubber "boot" over the front end lower control arm ball joint may have become dislodged or torn compromising the seal. Moisture inside the ball joint seal may cause corrosion, shortening the service life of the component.

Correction

Notice
    Before replacing any components under the terms of this bulletin, you must confirm the past service history of the vehicle. Please use GMVIS (dealers using WINS) or the Investigate Vehicle History link (dealers using GWM) to confirm if the vehicle was previously repaired under Customer Satisfaction Program 09203A. If the vehicle was repaired under this service action, ONLY replace the front control arm found to be the source of the noise and claim the applicable labor operation for that part as outlined in SI and the labor time guide.

Vehicles not identified in Customer Satisfaction Program 09203A (or not repaired during its duration) and found to have one or more of the rubber boots improperly sealing should have all four front control arms replaced.

---------------------------------------------

I hope someone else can make use of this information!! Good luck!
    R.I.P. Charlie. We are all here because of you

"I have dreamed a dream, and now that dream has gone from me" - Morpheus of the Nebuchadnezzar, and Grant of I12XLR8.

'Luskville is a cool experience, Calabogie is incredible, Mosport is life altering'

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a common problem with a lot of G8's. I had mine replaced 2 years ago and they are still quiet. Some members have had them replaced multiple times.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is getting pretty bad now, I'm waiting till the pot holes are filled around here before I take it in,The seat side cover broke again for the third time too.
    2009.5 MGM G8 GT,VG Shark Fin,35% Tint,Auto Dim Mirror,Weather Tech Mats,V8 6.0L Emblems,K&N Filter,Holden Pontiac Trunk Liner,Full size 19" Spare & Jack Tool Kit,Kahtec Blinking Third Brake Light.

2009 PBM G8 GT,VG Shark Fin,35% Tint,Auto Dim Mirror,Weather Tech Mats,V8 6.0L Emblems,K&N Filter,Redline Shift Boot,Doug Thorley Cat Back,GXP Rear Difusser,Holden Pontiac Trunk Liner,Full size 19" Spare & Jack Tool Kit,Kahtec Blinking Third Brake Light, G8 Roof Rack.

1974 Grand Prix SJ 1973 Cutlass Supreme

Post Thanks / Like

How long is the guarantee on the replacement?
    AND can they blame it on my aftermarket wheels (breyton) ?

5. Likes Bob N liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

The parts are warrantied for one year or until the bumper to bumper warranty expires, whichever is longer. I doubt they will say your wheels caused the LCA's to wear out since most G8's have this problem.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a clunk on the driverside. I'm waiting for the LCA kit I ordered from Pace. A real easy doityourselfer.

09 G8GT SwitchBlade Silver/Sunroof:

SSV Z-Series ll Rims, GXP rear diffuser, Chrome G8 gas cap cover, Console sliding leather lid, Holden Engine Covers, Intake cover delete, Auto dimming mirror, Holden VE Onyx Leather Sports Steering Wheel, SLP spoiler

Roto-Fab CAI, HSRK, MagnaFlow cat backs, Kooks mids w/ HFCs, GXP Brembos w/Drilled Rotors, VMS Stage 2 tuned, Mobil 1

Best: 60'- 1.954 1/4-12.753 @ 109.42

Post Thanks / Like

Pedders has new LCA's out while Spohn has them just not released yet. Most who have had Pedders bushings have had no issue with the stock LCA's. You can find the TSB's for the G8 here
    http://forum.grrrr8.net/forumdisplay.php?f=74
    2009 Karma Metallic G8 GT The best gift you can give to someone is your time,because you're giving them something that you can never get back

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    I have a clunk on the driverside. I'm waiting for the LCA kit I ordered from Pace. A real easy doityourselfer.
    You should have GM do the warranty work, take the car home, and install the Pace kit. I'm sure you could sell the factory LCA's to someone?!?!?

When I first complained about a clunk in the front end last fall they replaced my tie-rods, sway bar, and sway bar linkage under warranty! It helps to have a great dealer and a head mechanic that drives the same car!
    R.I.P. Charlie. We are all here because of you

"I have dreamed a dream, and now that dream has gone from me" - Morpheus of the Nebuchadnezzar, and Grant of I12XLR8.

'Luskville is a cool experience, Calabogie is incredible, Mosport is life altering'

Post Thanks / Like

Well today I noticed the suspension poping noise and I know its the LCAs. The sound is coming from the front of the car, I drove a good distance and the sound is there on stop and go. I'm planning on goin out of town this weekend and its almost a 500 mile trip. Could it be dangerous to drive like this??

Post Thanks / Like

Default LCA issues---Again

Just thought I would add in. I first had this issue in 2011, and had it taken care of under the TSB, no charge.
    Again last year, 2015 same problem. Original dealer closed so I took it to the local Chevy dealer. Again taken care of under the TSB, but some other suspension items needed replacement. Replaced both front stab links and right front outer tie rod I was charged $430. Now its August 2016 and the same problem again! I'm afraid they'll find a way to charge me again for what they did last September!

Sorry it took me awhile to post the results.
    Dealer said the right side control arm was shot, needed to be replaced. Since I was already there, I had them do the job. Bottom line was $684.50. Seemed a little high to me, but it was the dealer?
    Last edited by Bob N; 10-18-2016 at 08:34 AM.
    Bob N
    2009 G8 GT
    Panther Black
    Black w/Red Int.