Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cabin Air Fliter DIY

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SRG963 View Post
    lol at least you didn't spell it Sean....

It's Shawn BTW
    You know, it wouldn't be so bad ... if your name weren't right there in your signature. No excuse available here!
    2009 Liquid Red O/R M6 G8 GXP - Nickname: "The Yak"
    Bought 5/21/2009, Sold 5/2/2015. Will be missed!

Daily Driver: 2013 Ford Focus ST
    Hauler: 2005 Ford Excursion Powerstroke

Post Thanks / Like

I just messaged Greg to buy one.
    2009 Panther Black Metallic "The Black Rat"
    Current Modifications: Front end, Roof Pillars & Front top of roof has Clear Shield, Holden V8 6.0 Badges, Holden V Trunk Badge from Crazy Paul, UPR Catch Can, Corsa Exhaust & Roto Fab CAI. Spare Tire and Jack and Tinted Window's, hood scoops gutted, Poor Mans Heater Hose modification (holding up the hoses with zip ties), Painted the front dart to Panther Black.

Patrick Guerra's Tune July 12, 2010: 345 HP, 355 Torque on 87 Octane
    Patrick's & Kurt's install of Kooks Long tubes 1 7/8" w/Corsa Connection Pipes
    11-3-10: 362 rwhp, 372 Torque and updated engine and transmission tune.

New Engine as of 10- 5, 2011. Patrick & Kurt's tune and dyno 10-19 2011:363 rwhp, 365 Torque 93 octane.
    Sounds so GRRRR8 BECAUSE RACE CAR

7-1-14 Brembo Front Brake upgrade & Bohnam Front Splitter installed Curt here

Post Thanks / Like

Put my new filter in yesterday and good thing I did. It was pretty dirty and now the air smells much better and I replaced at 54,350 miles. I would say replace every 40K. Easy DIY thing to do unless you have huge forearms. Its a tight fit to get your arm in there.
    2009 Panther Black Metallic "The Black Rat"
    Current Modifications: Front end, Roof Pillars & Front top of roof has Clear Shield, Holden V8 6.0 Badges, Holden V Trunk Badge from Crazy Paul, UPR Catch Can, Corsa Exhaust & Roto Fab CAI. Spare Tire and Jack and Tinted Window's, hood scoops gutted, Poor Mans Heater Hose modification (holding up the hoses with zip ties), Painted the front dart to Panther Black.

Patrick Guerra's Tune July 12, 2010: 345 HP, 355 Torque on 87 Octane
    Patrick's & Kurt's install of Kooks Long tubes 1 7/8" w/Corsa Connection Pipes
    11-3-10: 362 rwhp, 372 Torque and updated engine and transmission tune.

New Engine as of 10- 5, 2011. Patrick & Kurt's tune and dyno 10-19 2011:363 rwhp, 365 Torque 93 octane.
    Sounds so GRRRR8 BECAUSE RACE CAR

7-1-14 Brembo Front Brake upgrade & Bohnam Front Splitter installed Curt here

Post Thanks / Like

Buy 2 from Pace, the shipping cost is the same. Save ya a few $$!
    RIP Charlie, The GRRRR8 One

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (one of 38 as optioned), MSM, M6, Sunroof, Onyx/Red (sold)
    2009 G8 GXP, #807 of 1829, MSM, A6, sunroof
    2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, spare, #555 of 2221.

You can push the envelope, but it's still stationery

Post Thanks / Like

Completed this yesterday...

My advice don't attempt to pull the full cover off unless you really have to. (I broke a few clips and the cover where the clips attach in a couple places removing it) If you do I think what I did wrong is to pull up in the middle, I think if you pulled straight up starting from one of the ends you would have better luck. AND, I think trying to release these plastic clips during cold weather is probably causing me issues, I think if the plastic would be warm or hot like in Summer I would have better luck.

My .02 hopefully helps someone..
    '09 White Hot GT, Premium, Sunroof - SOLD May 2021

Holden leather armrest, rear ashtray/cig lighter, Homelink, Auto dimming rearview mirror, Atari gauges by SAS & GTPprix, glove box light, LCD interior lights, GXP diffuser, 6.0 litre badges, painted calipers, BMR subframe connectors & drive shaft tunnel brace, Polk DB651 & DB6501 component speakers, Factory bluetooth, BMR x-member bushings, Corsa, many dealer installed mods (ie Fixes ). Waiting to install: Nothing.. I need to find the credit card!

Post Thanks / Like

After removing the old filter, and before inserting the new filter, it's a good idea to clean out the tray.

Also, when putting the retaining clips back, align them so the inserts are easy to remove next time.
    Trigger
    My Fully Loaded 08 Stealth Blue Pontiac G8 GT

There's always someone faster,
    they just don't look as good lol
    Rotofab/Cortex/BMR/Pedders/VMR/Adams/Brakes/OBX/Nitto

PRAISE THE LOWERED

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the DIY, Shawn. Well written! I just did this tonight, and it took around 15 minutes, most of which was spent trying to get the new filter seated.

These definitely need to be regularly changed since they're exposed to the elements and will... grow things. This is what mine looked like after 2 years.

Nastiness. I was BREATHING through that. Oddly enough, I think the old filter was even installed in the wrong direction!
    2009 Liquid Red O/R M6 G8 GXP - Nickname: "The Yak"
    Bought 5/21/2009, Sold 5/2/2015. Will be missed!

Daily Driver: 2013 Ford Focus ST
    Hauler: 2005 Ford Excursion Powerstroke

Post Thanks / Like

Just changed mine. Looked pretty bad after 40K

My original one also appears to have been installed backwards. (Airflow arrows on filter pointing to the outside of the vehicle)

Post Thanks / Like

I should probably order one of these soon. I just hit 30k, and I'm sure it's getting pretty bad.

'09 PBM GT: 579hp/ 552tq - SOLD

Post Thanks / Like

I looked into the direction that is should be installed and

1) It seems that the arrows on the filter should be pointed towards the front of the car not to the inside. (Airflow appears to be in that direction, despite what logic would suggest)

2) The filter does not appear to be directional so I'm not sure it even matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheffield Steve View Post
    Just changed mine. Looked pretty bad after 40K

My original one also appears to have been installed backwards. (Airflow arrows on filter pointing to the outside of the vehicle)