Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Transmission Fluid Change | 30,000 miles

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

About once a month If you ever see trans temps upwards of 250 degrees for a while I think it's wise to change it. Short of that I don't think you need to until 100k. That doesn't feel right though.

Andy
    2009 G8 GT, TVS2300, etc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matthewo View Post
    so you guys are doing a flush without changing the filter. while i really would rather just flush it, because you dont have to drop the pan to replace the filter and change the seal on the pan, but i dont like flushing old fluid threw the filter im leaving in there.
    Well, I don't know about the other guys on here, but my brother has worked for GM dealers and is ASE certified, and has seen "flushes" cause plenty of their own issues like stripping more material off the clutches and bands (other trannies). Namely, when you simply drop the pan and drain the fluid and change the filter, everything internally stays pretty much as-is. Flushing the tranny means forcing fluid the opposite of what the clutches and guts are used to and can cause other durability issues that are never discussed. Of course the dealer will jump at selling you the $189 flush over the $99 drain-and fill any time, regardless if there are other longevity issues. At 50k I doubt flushing has any of these negatives, but you can bet if I go 100k on tranny fluid EVER I will drain and refill. My $.02, I'm sure others have their feelings on flushing as well.

3. Thanks WhatNext thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I changed mine at about 10,000 miles. .... and will continue to change whenever the trans goes bad
    2009 G8 GT; F1x procharger on Supercharger store direct drive system; 430cuin LSX; E85; 9" rear; DSS once pc driveshaft; 4L80
    9.2@151.... fastest and heaviest G8 known to man.... ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gr8lover View Post
    I changed mine at about 10,000 miles. .... and will continue to change whenever the trans goes bad

lol

2009 White Hot G8 GT (stock)

* SOLD * 222/230 .597/.600 114+4 EPS Cam, Patrick G ECM/TCM Tune, Roto-Fab CAI, HSRK, Yank 3200 Torque Converter,
    Transmission Cooler, Kooks 1 3/4" LT Headers, high flow cats, stock mufflers, Billet Prototypes Catch Can, UD Pulley,
    Ported Intake Manifold, Spohn Trailing Arms

407 RWHP & 365 RWTQ

Best Time: 12.517 @ 115.02mph w/ 1.97 60' time - (on stock 18" AS Tires)

Post Thanks / Like

Bump for an old thread. Anyone visit the dealer for a Tranny fluid change in the last year? I wonder what the going rate is.
    If its 250 or less, I guess I'll let them do it.... any more than that I'd attempt it myself, though not looking forward to investing 3 hours.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Transmission Fluid Change | 30,000 miles

I wouldn't expect more than $175. It is a fluid exchange. Good in bad out using a machine.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been putting this off, so this thread came up under my search regarding it. Some questions:

1. A properly done flush will send fluid in the OPPOSITE direction of its operating flow direction?

Make sure whom ever changes the fluid that they use the BG Products machine for the flush.
    Why the BG Products machine? Is it specified by GM?
    2009 MGM GT: VCM CAI, ARH LT headers (no cats), Vector Tune, MT drag radials
    Procharger P1SC still powering the box it came in January 2010, hiding somewhere in the back of my man cave.
    PB: 12.533 @ 111.45 w/ 1.951 60' CLAIMING THE INTAKE/LT/TUNE/DR RECORD UNLESS SOMEBODY GOT GAME
    And nobody ever had game.

"There are but three true sports...mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. The rest are merely games." Ernest Hemmingway

"Racing is life. Everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen in the movie LeMans

Only two things smell like fish...and one of them is fish. unknown

Assigned male at birth, I now identify as a lesbian, but with extra equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know that's it's specified by GM per se but they did develop a process with GM for trans flush. Also that but about oppose the flow direction, you know there are parts in the trans valve body where the goes both ways right?

the key is that the machine as a good enough filter on it - such as to trap out and not allow the old shit back in.

biggest issue - regardless of the machine or the fluid used.

if you have gone some 5 + years on the trans - and/or say 50K or so miles and it has never ever been done, or you've never pulled the pan.

then the likelyhood you will jar something loose either off the bottom of the pan, or out of the filter, or grains of nast out of the gears - is very likely and it's equally likely that nast will get stuck someplace that it cannot release from. This is the bigger concern.

The 6L80 and it's follow on's have been designed so a flush will work on the machine. there are even places in the valve body that are for cleaning - so it's not a bad idea.

Personally I still like to pull the pan and get a new filter but even I have to admit the new filter doesn't do a whole hell of a lot. Mostly I want to clean the pan.

All that said I've had my g8 flushed once back at 61K miles. I bought the car with 58K on it, used. So first thing I did was flush it - and back at 128K ish I pulled the pan and filter. that was honestly a bitch in my driveway on jack stands. fluid was very dark - pan has a layer of stuff in it (I think mostly clutch materiel) but bangs gears like always.

If you've banged it hard And I'm guess you have - I would strongly suggest doing something. Pan dump or the flush. If still under 50K miles and 5 years (about the time the fluid just loses all anit-foam and Protection agents) - then a flush should be fine. If you do lots of highway miles - kick that out more towards 75K, if you did lots of 1/4 runs kick it down closer to 40K.

But there's a point where the fluid doesn't do much inside - and you're making more clutch and other metal than you should be - that's when you need a pan drop.

my 0.03
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like

Best price I've got on a flush and filter change is $290. It is as if they have never heard of changing a transmission filter, and are almost incredulous at hearing that requested. They maintain that the flush cleanses the filter. Me: "Good. But I still want a new filter and pan gasket installed. Can I get both a flush and a filter change done here?" Them: (Insert deer in the headlights blank stare here.)
    Last edited by TonyKarter; 06-27-2016 at 05:27 PM.
    2009 MGM GT: VCM CAI, ARH LT headers (no cats), Vector Tune, MT drag radials
    Procharger P1SC still powering the box it came in January 2010, hiding somewhere in the back of my man cave.
    PB: 12.533 @ 111.45 w/ 1.951 60' CLAIMING THE INTAKE/LT/TUNE/DR RECORD UNLESS SOMEBODY GOT GAME
    And nobody ever had game.

"There are but three true sports...mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. The rest are merely games." Ernest Hemmingway

"Racing is life. Everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen in the movie LeMans

Only two things smell like fish...and one of them is fish. unknown

Assigned male at birth, I now identify as a lesbian, but with extra equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a magnet surrounding the drain. With fluid movement it should catch any metal plate material. I did the Camaro pan and when I took the G8 pan off there was very little stuck to the magnet. Clutch material was a very thin film stuck to the bottom of the pan. At 40+ K miles my fluid looked new. Bright red color. As some of you know, I have not been easy on the drive train.
    The filter I took off, didn't see any thing wrong with it. Looked like a 10 micron filter anyway. only going to stop the largest pieces. If you have that, then you have larger problem that a filter won't help.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

12. Likes Napalm, STL_G8GT liked this post