Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pontiac G8 reliability - better info

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS View Post
    I still like my car....
    One problem with a car, which if it's typical is enough to get it a "worse than average" reliability rating these days, is hardly a reason not to like a car.

What few people realize is that with Consumer Reports' survey if even one in four owners reports a problem the car gets the dreaded black dot. And they provide little reliability information in addition to the dots.

I'm trying to get people from thinking that "worse than average" is automatically bad by providing the actual repair frequencies and far more detail than they do.

With the G8 it's, "Okay, the control arms in many of them have had to be replaced." A good reason not to get one? I wouldn't think so.
    TrueDelta.com
    Car reliability, real-world gas mileage, and price comparison information

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I have no complaints about my car or the service from my dealer. I had 2 minor issues fixed in 2 visits after owning this car for over a year.

Post Thanks / Like

I question the significance of these tests. People who are satisfied with their products generally don't participate in these questionnaires and I wonder if the results are skewed by "lemon vehicles and/or experiences." I'm not sure if there is any statistical data that would support or refute my claim, but I know from my experience, I usually only speak up if the shit hits the fan or if I had a glowing experience. For most satisfactory experiences, I bet they go unheard. That's just my take.
    2008 G8 GT #509 of 888 - Ignition Orange
    Performance: NEP OTR Intake, NEP Custom ECM/TCM Tune, VMS HSRK, Solo J-pipe Axle-back and X-pipe
    Appearance: 5000K HIDs, NEP Gauge Bezel, third_shift studios 888 Shifter Plaque, GXP Diffuser, 3.5" Exhaust Tips

332 RWHP / 349 RWTQ
    Best 1/4 - 13.215 @ 105.17MPH, 60' - 2.01
    www.fourdoormafia.com

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you, unless they survey everyone, then the results aren't accurate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by majesticix View Post
    I question the significance of these tests. People who are satisfied with their products generally don't participate in these questionnaires and I wonder if the results are skewed by "lemon vehicles and/or experiences." I'm not sure if there is any statistical data that would support or refute my claim, but I know from my experience, I usually only speak up if the shit hits the fan or if I had a glowing experience. For most satisfactory experiences, I bet they go unheard. That's just my take.

Our survey process is uniquely designed to prevent the distortion you mention. People are only surveyed beginning with the month they sign up. They cannot report old repairs. They cannot know what they'll be reporting at the time they decide to participate.

As for evidence, we do post stats for the percentage of cars with no reported repairs in the past year. In some cases, it's over 90 percent, and many models are over 70 percent:

TrueDelta Nada-odds and Lemon-odds stats

If people joined just to complain, this would never happen.
    TrueDelta.com

Post Thanks / Like

So what would you now rate Toyota?
    Old Retiree in a Infiniti

Current Car - Infiniti M37S
    Former G8 -V6 Owner (Yes, I am still kicking myself)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mkaresh View Post
    Our survey process is uniquely designed to prevent the distortion you mention. People are only surveyed beginning with the month they sign up. They cannot report old repairs. They cannot know what they'll be reporting at the time they decide to participate.

As for evidence, we do post stats for the percentage of cars with no reported repairs in the past year. In some cases, it's over 90 percent, and many models are over 70 percent:

TrueDelta Nada-odds and Lemon-odds stats

If people joined just to complain, this would never happen.
    Good to know, I'll take a look at your posted URL.
    2008 G8 GT #509 of 888 - Ignition Orange
    Performance: NEP OTR Intake, NEP Custom ECM/TCM Tune, VMS HSRK, Solo J-pipe Axle-back and X-pipe
    Appearance: 5000K HIDs, NEP Gauge Bezel, third_shift studios 888 Shifter Plaque, GXP Diffuser, 3.5" Exhaust Tips

332 RWHP / 349 RWTQ
    Best 1/4 - 13.215 @ 105.17MPH, 60' - 2.01
    www.fourdoormafia.com

Post Thanks / Like

We've updated the results for the Pontiac G8 to include owner experiences through December 31, 2009. With a reported repair rate of 84 repair trips per 100 cars per year, the G8 is now worse than average.

The suspension has been a common problem area.

We'll have further updates in May and August. The more owners participate, the better the information we can provide.

Pontiac G8 reliability comparisons
    TrueDelta.com

Post Thanks / Like

Just enhanced the related repair history survey so that it can (optionally) be used as a personal car maintenance record.

As always, more participants would be helpful. Updated Car Reliability Survey results in May, with a preview for participants in mid-April.

Car reliability research
    TrueDelta.com

Post Thanks / Like

whats the susp noises i see post about ??? i put 30K miles this first year and live down a sand drive way that gets rutted up a lot and you wouldn't think a car would even make it till you see this blue G8 come through it and i have not had the first thing wrong with my susp or anything ???
    2009 SBM G8 GT
    2007 Suzuki GSX-R 1000